Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Equifax leak?

Where else can I get my free credit report? This does make me a bit cautious.

Yppej
    The Central Source.

Quote Originally Posted by frugalone View Post
    Where else can I get my free credit report? This does make me a bit cautious.
    The site annualcreditreport.com is legit and provides once-a-year credit reports for EquiLax, Experian, and TransUnion. It's what I use.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Williamsmith
    I find it troubling how this issue has seemingly gotten little to no investigative reporting.

Yppej
    I got a form email from Elizabeth Warren that she plans to introduce legislation prohibiting fees for placing and removing credit holds and reimbursing consumers for fees incurred in association with this breach. But I am skeptical she will get this bill through, or that Trump with his recent shenanigans with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau would ever sign it. I think my next move is to ask my state senator and state rep about a possible state law.

Yppej, you're right. As much as I love her there's a 0% chance warren will get that through at this moment. At least until after the 2018 elections. State laws, yes, those might happen.

Steve: I've used that site too for years, and have shared it with many others. Reputable sources have always listed it as the place to go for your free credit reports.

Annualcreditreprt.com was set up by the three credit bureaus in order to comply with the portion of the federal law FACTA that required them to make their reports available to everyone for free. It's as legitimate as anything involving the credit bureaus can be.

I haven't read all of the posts yet, just the first page, so maybe this has been mentioned but...

Clark Howard highly recommends freezing your credit with at least the big 3 credit reporting agencies. That stops people from requesting new credit with your identity. When you want to do something that will require a credit check, you briefly unfreeze it for a period, then refreeze.

http://clark.com/personal-finance-cr...oney-identity/

Yppej
    I emailed my state senator today asking him to pass a law to help victims of this data breach.

Thread Information