Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Equifax leak?

I hope this problem kills Equifax as a company. If no one used them anymore it wouldn't matter but everything from job applications to homeowners insurance is tied to these credit reports.
    potentially for jobs yes, but it means also I may never be able to rent another apartment as long as those locks are on for sure, I guess I better get used to being here (eh at least I somewhat like this apartment ..)

Then I went to Equifax. They put the lock in place with no fee (leading me to believe it's free as a remedy because my data was compromised), but then they didn't show me my PIN. Instead I got a message "couldn't open PDF". I tried again to get to the site but it only give me options to lift the lock. So if I ever need to apply for credit I won't be able to because I don't have the PIN to temporarily lift the lock. I feel like I just made things worse for myself. Since I don't have hours to sit on hold and probably not get to a live person anyways I am writing them a letter complete with screen shots telling them they need to fix this or I am going to the appropriate governmental authorities. I will wait to see the upshot of that before doing anything with Transunion.
    horrible, thanks for the warning, not that there are any good alternatives, but yea a freeze that can't be unlocked because their software is broken might be worse than no freeze. Trans-union seems to work btw, I think in your case Equifax managed to screw up the freeze as well ....

The media should be SCREAMING about what a disaster this is. A whole lot of people are going to eventually realize how mofo serious this is only after they get royally and truthfully f'ed. A new credit card number is easy to get.
    maybe the media should be but the media can't really actually DO anything they can just raise the issue, it's really the government that should be looking into this and seeing what can be done (even if it's just issuing everyone a new SSN, or seeing what to do about potential tax or benefit fraud due to identify theft - but really they should be exploring the whole of the issue - I mean half the country having a credit freeze on really gums of the works of you know the economy ...). But like I said complete maroons are running the place at present so I wouldn't have much hope ... the worst government money can buy and all.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    I read in Europe consumers can demand a credit bureau delete all their data and the bureau has to comply.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    potentially for jobs yes, but it means also I may never be able to rent another apartment as long as those locks are on for sure, I guess I better get used to being here (eh at least I somewhat like this apartment ..)

horrible, thanks for the warning, not that there are any good alternatives, but yea a freeze that can't be unlocked because their software is broken might be worse than no freeze. Trans-union seems to work btw, I think in your case Equifax managed to screw up the freeze as well ....

maybe the media should be but the media can't really actually DO anything they can just raise the issue, it's really the government that should be looking into this and seeing what can be done (even if it's just issuing everyone a new SSN, or seeing what to do about potential tax or benefit fraud due to identify theft - but really they should be exploring the whole of the issue - I mean half the country having a credit freeze on really gums of the works of you know the economy ...). But like I said complete maroons are running the place at present so I wouldn't have much hope ... the worst government money can buy and all.
    The federal government isn't going to do anything about this for a couple of reasons. First, like healthcare, data security is a complex problem and congress's forte is not dealing with complex issues in a meaningful and rational way. Second, the government still, to this day, doesn't really believe in people having truly unbreachable technology. Most people in senior levels of the government, like the NSA, believe that encryption should have a "back door" that the government can access. The history of the government's efforts to thwart encryption, initially by classifying it as a weapon and therefore not exportable, are fascinating. There's a book I'd recommend but unfortunately I can't for the life of me think of its title. Perhaps bae knows the one I'm thinking of. And the #2A reason is that when the government learns of a bug in the security of a system they don't necessarily tell the manufacturer of that software. Instead they often will utilize it for spying purposes.

States, to some degree, have stepped up in the federal government's absence. 47 of them have data breach notification laws. This is less than ideal since the laws differ in the details which makes it somewhat more complicated for a business who has customers from a variety of states. And it also kind of sucks for residents of NM, AL, and SD, the three states that don't have data breach laws.

Yppej
    Today I decided I should probably freeze my Transunion credit file as well and was pleasantly surprised that I can lock and unlock it myself for free and with no waiting period.

Williamsmith
    The CEO of Equifax and any of the high ranking officers who crash sold shares of Equifax after they learned of the breach of data on July 29th are probably going to be asked to do some explaining.

I checked wih Equifax and learned to my dismay that I was probably compromised. I did apply for a credit freeze with their company through the website. No doubt there was language buried in the acknowledgement that restricts my ability to legally pursue damages but then again, my income quite nicely does the same thing. Perhaps a person like bae could afford to pursuade them of their wrongdoing.

I am going to conference with the wife about freezing all three companies as we have no immediate plans on borrowing. I have tried to unscrew identity theft messes both professionally and personally in the past and it is an enormous headache. Better to try to lock the door instead of try to get the horse back in the barn.

This is truly what you would expect from a third world company and the result just might be large enough to impact any economic growth that might have otherwise occurred. With the two untimely hurricanes , I'm wondering if Russia isn't also controlling the weather.

I did all three for both my husband and me. It took a while, but not awful. Only Transunion charged $5 each and that seems a cheap price if it will stop hours of hassle. Now to change the passwords on the on line accounts....

Williamsmith
    Oddly, my wife's information was not impacted. Lucky me. Well, I guess I will begin jumping the ditch now that I have come to it alone.

The site said my information was not impacted, but who really knows? I'm considering a credit freeze anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Oddly, my wife's information was not impacted. Lucky me.
    Same here. Still trying to figure out that one...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    I checked today and mine was impacted, so since I had issues with Equifax's freeze I tried to sign up for their True Identity but they said they have a high volume of requests, it may take days to get confirmation that I am enrolled, I must keep checking my spam folders, and no phone number was provided to call for assistance. The evening news reported they are not responding to interview requests (although their CEO previously said how they respond to the breach and not the breach itself would define them). Nothing they do seems to work.

My letter to them demanding redress went out in the morning's mail. I have no desire to phone their call center in the Philippines.

Thread Information