Thread: 'Nasty' food

'Nasty' food

So my lovely staff yesterday said that some of the food the kids like is 'nasty' (not around kids). I said that i actually liked the food, which she replied that of course vegetarians would eat seaweed snacks. I am 90% vegetarian really, but that is not why i like ghe seaweed snacks. Basically i told she had better ways go say she didn't like a food.

She told me that of course i thought meat was nasty, which I don't. She is about as mature as a child, but how many of us have some underlying expectation around food? That some is nasty and others good well beyond if we like it. Or an expectation that others share our food preferences. I may not feel meat is nasty but i have some assumptions about people based on what they eat. And i feel comfortable when i am around people who like similar food or have similar habits.

"Nasty" is entirely subjective. Grasshoppers are great sources of protein. Are they "nasty"? Why do we feel fine eating cows but are horrified at the "nasty" thought of eating horses or dogs? My DH thinks all Mexican food is nasty. DH went to China where eating turtles out of their shells is perfectly acceptable: I think that's nasty. No particular reason--I realize my own opinion is entirely based on experience. I eat mussels out of their shells. Lobster, too. Why not turtles? I used to think peanut butter was nasty (actually, I still do--not icky nasty, but yukky-tasting nasty). Some people think frogs legs are nasty, but I enjoyed the frogs legs that my uncle once made from a frog that had just 5 minutes earlier been jumping around the perimeter of his pond.

I admit that I tend to judge people who have extremely narrow, close-minded thoughts about food, but narrow-mindedness is relative. I'm never going to eat turtle out of its shell.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Is this the jailbird employee?

Yup you guessed it IL, still trying to find people to hire and 'coach out'

Thread Information