Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Preparedness Kits Challenge

Emergency Preparedness Kits Challenge

Hi Everybody,

All the natural disasters recently are reminding me that I really need to set up emergency preparedness kits in my house - one inside for "sheltering in place," one outside, I guess, for earthquakes (I live in LA!). I've been procrastinating on it forever.

I'd like to set a goal of setting up some basic kits by the end of September.

Anybody else want to join in for a little bit of peer pressure? We can report on our progress here.

Elizabeth

This is a good chalkange. But--I wont participate on this one, yet. We have to finish our trust/ will process. After that, I will put together a bug out bag with all pertinent documents.

Does it count if you already have one ready?

Sure, Too Sweet for Me, congrats on completing the challenge!

Also, an older take on the day pack setup I commonly use around here:

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/sho...oods-don-t-die

The larger version I pack for extended 3-day S&R deployments has a bit more stuff, but I still try to keep it under 20 pounds (not including water, but including food), and it has quite a bit more medical and communications equipment in it, as I'm usually expecting to find someone broken.

Oh. My. Bae, I don't even know the names of some of those things, much less how/what they are used for!

I will join the challenge. Back in the days when I wore "professional dress" to work, I had jeans, tee and sweat shirts, sneakers and sox in my car, along with 2 gallons of water; a hammer, 4-way screwdriver, gas wrench, box cutter, rope, can opener; and about 10 cans of ready to eat foods, and a box of protein bars. Slowly over the years, things got taken out. Now I'm lucky if I have water!

I did put all important docs on a thumb drive last winter. I have a bag packed for the dogs, just have to add water and food. But sadly, nothing else ready to go, though I do have my list from last winters evacuation ahead of possible flooding...

I am in for this challenge!

Once assembled, it's a good idea to go through your gear on a regular basis to make sure batteries are still good, medications haven't expired, or items gone "missing" from people borrowing something handy "just for a moment".

After Sandy I vowed to get an emergency radio, and never did. Thanks for the reminder! My BIL had a radio that served the purpose and it was very, very helpful.

Some of my neighbors had generators, and I was a tad envious, but OTOH, it was kind of nice doing without power, at least for the short term. If I or DH had a medical condition that depended upon power, I would definitely put that high on my list, but we don't.

What are y'all putting in your kits? (bae, thanks for the link--great resource for this challenge.)
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by ejchase View Post
    Sure, Too Sweet for Me, congrats on completing the challenge!
    With where we live, and my mom having various medical issues, I have my personal "go bag" which has my medicines and such in it. Started using this after my mom was hospitalized with an aneurysm and I wasn't expecting it, so when we went to ER, I just had my one day of medicine in it. She got transferred and I had no extra insulin or medications with me until the next night when I got home. We also have an emergency preparedness kit with batteries, am-fm radio, ready to eat foods, clothes, important papers in ziploc bags along with copies of prescriptions and my POA of my mom, extra disposable undies for her, extra toilet paper and sanitary supplies. Next container has lawn and leaf bags, first aid kit, and extra diabetes supplies for us both.

Thread Information