Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hillary Clinton Done Being A Candidate

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Hillary Clinton Done Being A Candidate

I just read online that though she says she will remain in the public sphere, Hillary Clinton claims she is "done being a candidate". I personally find this incredibly depressing as my take is that if she were in office, there would be many fewer missteps and that the United States would not be the laughing stock of the world as it is now. What is is, and I have to accept it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it or find it not depressing.

That said, it will be interesting to see who the Democrats run next time, and if it will be Trump or Pence running for the GOP candidate in 2020. Rob

Williamsmith
    Rob, you and I are completely different in our political opinions probably brought on by our living in totally different worlds despite being within the same nation. Still, I feel I could find some common ground with you. The limitations of a semi anonymous forum notwithstanding, it behooves us to try to understand one another. While I certainly agree with your angst over the current administration, I cannot see why anyone would look upon Mrs. Clinton as a viable way forward for our country under any circumstances. Furthermore, I find no comfort in pretending that either the Republicans or the Democrats can produce a candidate that would be of benefit to the country. That would be like like expecting a Chevy Spark to be useful for shipping a load of drywall.

I am am looking for the emergence of a third party....

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    You could probably carve out at least two more parties, given the factions that are breaking off as quickly as the Arctic ice floes these days.

Hillary blames her failure in part on Bernie, for running as Democrat; the mainline Republicans are gritting their teeth every day Trump is in office. I watched Bannon on 60 Minutes last night.. I truly believe he and Trump have a deal--Bannon will be able to push Trump's agenda MUCH more effectively on the "outside." I don't think for a minute that he was "kicked out" of the White House by Trump. This is strategy.

As for Hillary, I'm not shedding any tears. I'm waiting for the party's acceptance of Warren. At the same time I'm going through a little personal mini-crisis of political identity these days.Trying to work things out. I'm finding it a little harder to be a die-hard liberal.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Rob, you and I are completely different in our political opinions probably brought on by our living in totally different worlds despite being within the same nation. Still, I feel I could find some common ground with you. The limitations of a semi anonymous forum notwithstanding, it behooves us to try to understand one another. While I certainly agree with your angst over the current administration, I cannot see why anyone would look upon Mrs. Clinton as a viable way forward for our country under any circumstances. Furthermore, I find no comfort in pretending that either the Republicans or the Democrats can produce a candidate that would be of benefit to the country. That would be like like expecting a Chevy Spark to be useful for shipping a load of drywall.

I have always thought that this is the true, long lasting contribution Donald John Trump could do for the U.S. Political scene--point the focus of his followers on small gubmnt, change the swamp. He could pull Dems and Repubs who are interested in these topics together.

Since he himself seems largely uninterested in idealogy ( with the exception of The Wall Across Mexico and a couple of other ideas) he could really chrystalize ideas for a new party, and use his personal popularity to promote it.

Based on the interviews connected with her new book, it sounds like she sees herself more in the fundraiser/kingmaker role from here on. I suppose fulfilling that vision will depend on how she's viewed by her fellow Democrats. I read somewhere that 12% of the people who supported Sanders in the primaries wound up voting for Trump in the general election, so party loyalty seems fairly fluid right now. She will certainly have issues with her party's left wing based on her critique of Bernie in the book. A couple of Berniecrats of my acquaintance insist that the DNC did their best to rig the debate schedules and formats to his disadvantage.

I wound up voting third party last year, but would happily vote for virtually any Republican who can take down Trump in the next primary.

Maybe over time Hillary will quite blaming others and realize she lost because her platform and personality just didn't connect with enough voters. It's time for her to step down, but she should get due credit for being the first female major presidential candidate and making a pretty good go of it. I think it will make it easier for others to follow.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    William smith You honestly don't think either party can produce a suitable candidate? Kasich? Surely there also are more moderate dems as well that can work with both parties.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Based on the interviews connected with her new book, it sounds like she sees herself more in the fundraiser/kingmaker role from here on. I suppose fulfilling that vision will depend on how she's viewed by her fellow Democrats.
    I think that won't work out so well, for anyone.

Based on my experience in the caucus/delegate/convention process the last several elections, as both a Republican and a Democrat, I don't see that either party has much to offer the younger generations, nor does either party show much interest in this demographic.

If Hillary is the Party's "kingmaker", I think we'll just see repeats of "business as usual". Which I suppose is great for both parties, but not so much for us citizens.

This thread inspired me to take a political typology quiz.

http://www.people-press.org/quiz/political-typology/

Interestingly, it had more than the standard categories (GOP, Dem, Libertarian). I wound up being a Next Generation Left, probably reflective of the soul-searching I'm doing right now about what I want from a political party.

I'd be curious to know where others here fit.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Not surprisingly I came out with Solid Liberal.

Thread Information