Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hillary Clinton Done Being A Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Hilary was too tainted, IMO, by her long history. A lot of older Dems I know (45 and up) had a really bad taste in their mouth mouth from eveything that happened with Bill, etc. She just didn't connect with them. Seemed too cold and elistist. They much preferred Bernie.
    Count me as part of that crowd. But Bill was never a solid progressive. Maybe because he got too much money from Big Corporate. Or maybe because of the makeup of congress at the time. Who knows. I'd take Hillary over what we got, but I've never been in love with the Clintons. I would much prefer if the dems would focus on the Sanders/Warren ideas/goals.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Just came home from my first day of training.....and took the politics quiz. Would anyone familiar with my posts be the slightest bit surprised that I clocked in as a Solid Liberal? Pretty much par for the course given the givens in my case and given that I live in the 85006. Rob

I expected to get that or something but I grew tired of the quiz probably less than half way in and shut the browser. So blank and white and annoying. Gosh what's the point of being a liberal when you can't even carefully parse nuance to the nth degree to try to arrive at the most accurate understanding of the world, anymore.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    I'm glad I voted my conscience for Bernie instead of falling for the argument that Hillary was more electable. That was the best thing she had going for her and it was a myth. She can enjoy being a grandmother now, or maybe do TV commentary or a talk show, something where she can lighten up and laugh more. Sort of like how Al Gore came into his own when he no longer had to act the politician.

Everybody should retire at some point. Isn't she over 70? I'm happy for her. Time to enjoy life.

How can anyone trust the judgment of a person who believes one of the lessons from Orwell's 1984 is that we should "trust our leaders"?

Excerpt from her latest book:

Attempting to define reality is a core feature of authoritarianism. This is what the Soviets did when they erased political dissidents from historical photos. This is what happens in George Orwell’s classic novel Nineteen Eighty-Four, when a torturer holds up four fingers and delivers electric shocks until his prisoner sees five fingers as ordered. The goal is to make you question logic and reason and to sow mistrust toward exactly the people we need to rely on: our leaders, the press, experts who seek to guide public policy....
    I'm thinking she may not have read the source material.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I don't understand that as her saying that we should trust leaders who are bad leaders as in the 1984 book. I understand her as saying that we should be able to trust leaders and that it's too bad that there are so many authoritarian evil leaders out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    How can anyone trust the judgment of a person who believes one of the lessons from Orwell's 1984 is that we should "trust our leaders"?

Excerpt from her latest book:

I'm thinking she may not have read the source material.
    Possibly my short coming, but I'm not clear on what she is getting at. I get it more as a warning not to trust government and is a reference to Teflon's attempts to redefine the truth. At any rate it is a little cryptic to me. One of her sentences that follow is,

"The goal is to make you question logic and and reason and to sow mistrust, Clinton writes. “For Trump, as with so much he does, it’s about simple dominance.”

Even for liberal me I could get a Hillary connection to some version of the coastal elite. Trump's campaign was sharp enough to take advantage of that. The dems need a face lift. Hopefully Bernie will clear the way for some fresh blood, too.

Williamsmith
    She shouldn't have written a book so soon after her humiliation. She hasn't even gotten through the first step in the grieving process.

Al Gore moved on from his "humiliation" and made a documentary and nobody told him to finish grieving. Both he and Hillary nearly won, and had the popular vote if I recall correctly.

I don't get why people despise her so much. It definitely feels to me that the collective "we" continues to struggle with the idea of a stong female leader.

I'm looking forward to reading her book, to get her perspective as well as to read it as a social commentary on the sad state of my country today. Particularly that one debate, where Trump paced and prowled behind her as she tried to give rational answers, was an embarrassingly obvious display of how a bully/stalker can win over a rational person. It plays out every day in many lives in this country. Gaslighting, bullying, stalking, abuse…

I didn't particularly want Hillary to be president, but I would've chosen her any day over what we have right now.

Thread Information