Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hillary Clinton Done Being A Candidate

Williamsmith
    Tammy, Al Gore wasn't the best the Democrats had to offer when he lost to the hanging chads. The DNC is largely to blame. Hillary lost under the rules of the game which have been the same rules Presidents have always won and lost by. If the rules had been different the campaigning would have been different and no one can predict if she would have prevailed. Again, the Dems had better candidates...female included. She simply assumed her ascension to the Presidency was a foregone conclusion and went through the motions.

Your acceptance of her as a weaker opponent susceptible to bullying and male intimidation is not consistent with the Hillary I have witnessed and come to know. She is a tough nut and could have easily bullied back....just ask the secret service agents that were abused by her over the years.

She might have made a more effective President ....as things are now, can't argue against that. Right now though The Orange One seems to be courting the Dems just is he can get something done.

Gore wasnt humiliated....he was outfoxed. Hillary was humiliated. Id actually feel a little sorry for her except I know that would offend her.

So long as Mrs. Clinton lingers on like Miss Havisham over being left at the electoral altar, the less chance newer, more viable Democrats have to make themselves known. The party in general has a problem with elders refusing to make room for new blood.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    So long as Mrs. Clinton lingers on like Miss Havisham over being left at the electoral altar, the less chance newer, more viable Democrats have to make themselves known. The party in general has a problem with elders refusing to make room for new blood.
    The Republicans aren't providing much of an example. After all, Trump is "new blood."

And he won. Rant, rail, blame some, excuse others and remonstrate all you like. He won.

You or I may not like it, but he won. There is an active debate within the GOP on how to deal with that. The Democrats seem fixated on the past.

And he won. Rant, rail, blame some, excuse others and remonstrate all you like. He won.

You or I may not like it, but he won. There is an active debate within the GOP on how to deal with that. The Democrats seem fixated on the past.
    I think we should "fixate" on the mechanics of the election and how to prevent Russian interference in the future, but there's plenty of new blood in the party and a definite upsurge of activism. I'm hopeful. (If we survive...)

I think the ruling Democrats have come to understand they've screwed the pooch these last few election cycles by focusing on social issues and all the various ism's while pandering to the Bernie wing of the party. They may be slow learners but I think the stark reality of losing over a thousand legislative seats in 8 years has finally awakened some of the older crew. If Democratic new blood hasn't gotten the message, the party will continue to decline, at least in the short term, under new leadership. I think their entrenched leadership feels obligated to hold the fort while waiting for the learning curve to kick in.

On the Republican side, I think the current dalliance with Trump will force a more balanced party after he's gone as moderates rally to take back the title of Grand Old Party. It will be interesting over these next few years to see both sides return to their roots.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

And if he's the example of the winning new blood that the republicans have then your party is doomed. That said, I think Hillary made the same mistake as the 16 other republicans that ran this time around. She tried to run a campaign based on the time rested principals of how one runs a political campaign In our current era. Clearly she, and all the others, would have done better if they'd just lied their asses off, made obviously absurd promises, and encouraged everyone to blame all their problems on someone else, preferably someone with scary brown skin. There are obviously plenty of voters who find that message very appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    And if he's the example of the winning new blood that the republicans have then your party is doomed. That said, I think Hillary made the same mistake as the 16 other republicans that ran this time around. She tried to run a campaign based on the time rested principals of how one runs a political campaign In our current era. Clearly she, and all the others, would have done better if they'd just lied their asses off, made obviously absurd promises, and encouraged everyone to blame all their problems on someone else, preferably someone with scary brown skin. There are obviously plenty of voters who find that message very appealing.
    Hear hear!

And social ills are the basis of all other problems--when the Democrats forget that, I'll have to go back to voting for independent candidates. There's more to life than greed, wars, and Arpaio-style policing.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    She tried to run a campaign based on the time rested principals of how one runs a political campaign In our current era. Clearly she, and all the others, would have done better if they'd just lied their asses off, made obviously absurd promises, and encouraged everyone to blame all their problems on someone else, preferably someone with scary brown skin white, male , rich skin. There are obviously plenty of voters who find that message very appealing, after all she did win the popular vote.
    Sorry, but with a few edits, I think your analysis is a pretty good portrayal of how both she and Bernie lost.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Sorry, but with a few edits, I think your analysis is a pretty good portrayal of how both she and Bernie lost.
    To say that a policy wonk like Hillary was throwing out proposals with no thought given for how to actually accomplish them in amanner even vaguely similar to what trump was doing strains credibility.

Thread Information