Thread: Good news from Mexico City amidst the disaster.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Good news from Mexico City amidst the disaster.....

My husband has a few relatives in Mexico City - we both have been worried - he's got a plan whereby he can call to Mexico unlimited for $5 extra a month and he's been calling and calling and finally got an answer from an Aunt that his relatives are OK. Apparently the worst of the quake hit Central Mexico City (including the area that tourists tend to hang out in) and the Southside of Mexico City.

My husband's relatives live on the North Side of the seemingly endless sprawl that is Mexico City and apparently in their part of the city there's been damage for sure but not of the level that is being seen online. I am so grateful - honestly, I've never met these particular relatives but the idea of my husband's family perishing in an earthquake is more than I care to bear at the moment. Phew - they are safe. Now I need to say some prayers for the survivors and that the ultimate casualty numbers don't climb sky high....one death is too much but realistically, there is going to be more than one death here. I am hoping for not many more than the current estimate of 44.

Funky times we live in, no? It seems there is one disaster after another after another. Rob

It's very sad to see this human suffering, glad your relatives were not impacted.

It's heartening however to see the immediate response of normal citizens to do anything they can - removing rubble, supplying bottles of water, etc. - so that those aid workers can get to any survivors as quickly as possible.

So glad your in-laws are okay! Such a terrible situation, and I agree, seems like ther eis one disaster after another these days.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Thank You Lainey and Tybee. What I find really uplifting about this disaster in Mexico City is how everyday people have been volunteering in groups with doctors and attorneys and upper level office management types in an effort to clear the rubble and find survivors. People who would otherwise never mingle in Mexican society are volunteering to save lives and that to me is some of the best that human nature is capable of.....Rob

The scientists have said that a big area of Mexico City is built on reclaimed lake bed. It has loose soil which amplifies earthquake waves and energy. Think many sharp strong shakes rather than long waves.

I lived thru the 9.2 Alaska earthquake in 1964 and can remember the waves of energy that flowed thru our subdivision. House was not damaged and most high rises survived with some cracks only partially due to ground and to strong construction. A big housing area was totally destroyed because the ground underneath it contained a layer of clay that was shaken into a liquid and flowed out to sea along with anything on top of it.

You tube has a great documentary with some video and photographs about the AK earthquake and the aftermath. We were always thankful for Ham radio operators and the military.

Thread Information