Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you normal?

I am normal for the groups I see daily, but different to the other groups I see daily. Over all the people and area I live in, I am normal. Drop me in an different part of the city and I would be considered weird I imagine. Perhaps because we would have different daily issue to be concerned with.

Now peel back the onion....everyone has some strange tendencies!

I don't think i am seen as normal. I am kinda cool in certain small groups such as meditators and apparently 'makers' . I am also not too outside the box in education, which is nice. It is little things, i talk about food differences a lot. That seems to be big. My ex and the parents of my son's girlfriend are 'normal' , kinda pretentious jerks according to the kids

It is cool to say none of us are normal but i have actual evidence. I test as a very small group in the Meyers Briggs system. That is self reported but in work settings i also have had trainings where i am about the only one in my type in whatever system they use. And then thereiis the bipolar. That is a factor and has an impact. Right now with attention for my maker work it is better, good different. A lot of times i would trade in the empathic part and the part where i don't make sense to people

http://qi.com/infocloud/normal

I remember an episode of that, where the Air Force tried to design a seat for the "normal" or average person. It fit no one.
    What is normal, other then a concept?

It is really nice if you can find your people. That was here in my neighborhood 30 years ago, my tribe.

Now, not so much. No one is volunteering here, no one has passion for anything, no one gives a rip, the new people assume their taxes just cover eveything. They have no idea of the work the neighborhood association has dne over 45 years. Cant get board members, cant get anyone to serve as President. Oh, and then there is the contingent that coddles the criminals. Plus, our neighborhood cop retired (thank god for him getting out of the fray! But bad for us) and we have a new police officer assigned to our neighborhood who is, well, not enthusiastic. Perhaps she will warm up to us.

I need a new tribe, I think.

IL, I think you ought to try Hermann, after the car jacking incident. Would be last straw for me.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    and we have a new police officer assigned to our neighborhood who is, well, not enthusiastic. Perhaps she will warm up to us.

I feel like that in my neighborhood (I think I am now the second longest resident). She will I expect, warm up to those who help themselves as well as trying to help the neighborhood. Not to those others who are "it is not my problem" and "that is your job", rather then even trying simple things like knowing their neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    IL, I think you ought to try Hermann, after the car jacking incident. Would be last straw for me.
    What car jacking? She posted about someone trying to steal her car, but there was no person assaulted in doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    People doing car theft and vandalism is a regular thing here, for 30 years. That is not the new thing. I am not deterred by the criminals,, I am deterred by the lack of strong reaction, this new "aww but we have to understand them" attitude to these idiots.

over on MMM madgeylou (remember her?) just ripped me for using the term "thug."

See, it is that kind of reaction from the citizens here in their $500,000+ houses that are boring me to death. No grit, no fight, write a check for everything is the attitude of
    The New People.

I see the same thing, IL, the reactions of the New People. I do remember Madgeylou, she had the shift business, right.
    Thug is an excellent word and I am sorry I misued the word carjacking, too much stuff.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    It is really nice if you can find your people. That was here in my neighborhood 30 years ago, my tribe.

Now, not so much. No one is volunteering here, no one has passion for anything, no one gives a rip, the new people assume their taxes just cover eveything. They have no idea of the work the neighborhood association has dne over 45 years. Cant get board members, cant get anyone to serve as President. Oh, and then there is the contingent that coddles the criminals. Plus, our neighborhood cop retired (thank god for him getting out of the fray! But bad for us) and we have a new police officer assigned to our neighborhood who is, well, not enthusiastic. Perhaps she will warm up to us.

IL, as we all know, the two of us seldom agree. That said, I am really blown away here by how on target your words are, at least for me in my life. Thinking your post through - I really have found my tribe, and tribe is a good word for it. My niche, or tribe, or however you want to describe it, is in struggling lower income recent immigrant areas.

Seriously, now that it's been over ten years that I worked for them, I will state that on one of my better paying server gigs, I worked at California Pizza Kitchen at 24th Street and Camelback - an intersection in Phoenix that has the highest per square foot office rents in this metro area of 4.5 million plus people. The money was good during the real estate boom, I won't deny that, but I was serving guests of a much higher social class overall and although I possess the basic skills to pull this off, I was never really comfortable and would, as time allowed, often eavesdrop on guest conversations (both male and female) and many times I felt surprised that I didn't need a passport to enter the neighborhood as the priorities of the people I served tended to be so foreign to me. But go back to the 85006 by bike every night, and once I was south of Thomas Road and 24th Street, I once again "got it" or was again comfortable or with my "tribe".

Even in college I gravitated towards the foreign students - partly because they tended to come from places with socialized medicine and I valued their takes on things as they came from somewhere with a higher regard for human life, and partly because realistically I've always been a misfit in this society and usually fit in better with other outsiders. Plus they often had me over and I had the chance to hear interesting stories and try different foods. My point here is that my "tribe" has always been "other" in some way.

You post really made me think this morning and your words here are powerful, Thank You. I sincerely hope that whatever tribe works for you, you meet up with them once more. Rob

Thread Information