Thread: Spoofing

Spoofing

For the longest time I have daily or twice a day been receiving calls from a number that has the first 6 numbers that are mine then the last four are random. I block and block and do a reverse look up which does nothing. Searching I found this is called Spoofing where the ID number can be your own or similar and is not really the person on reverse look up.

HOW do I stop this?? I found an APP but the reviews are it is the same as blocking myself.

Share it if you find out because the same thing is happening here to all our phones. Right now, unless the name comes up from our contact list, we do not answer our phones. We have a very generic answering machine voice and only one "stupid" company leaves a message.

Quote Originally Posted by BikingLady View Post
    For the longest time I have daily or twice a day been receiving calls from a number that has the first 6 numbers that are mine then the last four are random. I block and block and do a reverse look up which does nothing. Searching I found this is called Spoofing where the ID number can be your own or similar and is not really the person on reverse look up.

HOW do I stop this?? I found an APP but the reviews are it is the same as blocking myself.
    You don't. To have the money to stop this, requires an infrastructure change, of which there has been talk of Congress passing a law, requiring the change in the infrastructure of the phone systems. (more taxes/fee's on your bill)
    What has become entertaining to some, is to fight back. There is software to do that (check out Youtube and the Jolly Roger software/phone company, or the Lenny scripts for Linux PBX's). You effectively tie up their most expensive components (actual people and time).

ToomuchStuff is right -- you can't currently stop spoofing. Wasting their time, however? Almost free. I answer the call and interact just enough to get a human being. Then I just put down the handset and walk away. They get the hint. Some of them are even smart enough to put you on their do-not-call list so they don't waste their time in the future.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

https://gimletmedia.com/episode/long-distance/

Reply All did two episodes where they actually investigate to find out the whole story. This one and episode 103. Completely awesome and worth the listen.

Thread Information