Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What's your take on Betsy DeVos overturning Title 9 policies at US universities?

Williamsmith
    I have probably talked to more rape victims and men falsely accused than most. Statistics comparing actual rapes of women to false accusations against men are going to be inaccurate at best. There are a lot of variables going on. What most people think of as rape is just part of the problem. Sexual assault in general has many degrees and definitions, lots of legal statutes of limitations and reporting criteria and such a severe penalty that full blown convictions and sentences are limited by those factors.

I have dealt with everything from homicides involving rape, down to making lewd comments to coworkers. You can't make any generalization about it. For as many ways as there are to commit a rape....there are ways to falsely accuse another of the act. It boils down to how diligent an investigator is and sometimes how lucky. Most false accusations never get officially reported as such because the original report is that of a sexual assault and changing it requires opening up a new incident report with the victim listed as the suspect. It can be done but often the falsely accused is just happy it's over with and wants to just move on.

Many college related incidents involve alcohol or drugs. This muddies the water significantly. Date rape drugs that quickly leave the victim's system and delayed reporting often torpedos an investigation from the beginning. It's always an emotional nightmare and it was the last thing I wanted to hear at 2am when the phone rang. I much rather wanted to hear, possible homicide, suicide, robbery or accidental death.

My department receives ongoing training on dealing with sexual assault cases, as we are often first on-scene. And some of our resources assist in the interview/rape kit process. And my mother, a nurse, works with the Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault Services organization. As a result, I have some visibility, county-wide, into our statistics. We pull somewhere between 1 and 2 dozen rape kits a year. This results in, on average, 0 prosecutions per year. In a county with a population of ~16000 permanent residents.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    My department receives ongoing training on dealing with sexual assault cases, as we are often first on-scene. And some of our resources assist in the interview/rape kit process. And my mother, a nurse, works with the Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault Services organization. As a result, I have some visibility, county-wide, into our statistics. We pull somewhere between 1 and 2 dozen rape kits a year. This results in, on average, 0 prosecutions per year. In a county with a population of ~16000 permanent residents.
    Just curious, why no prosecutions? I believe you take your role very seriously - a compliment, no snark here - so I'm sure you are doing everything by the book. Is it that hard to get evidence to stick? I honestly have no idea on this one and am only asking.......Rob

Thread Information