Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bromance break-up?

UL situation seems extreme because they agree on most things and only seem to have a few disagreements, though how such things are handled matters. I don't think most people are actually going out of their way to meet friends who are vastly different from them the majority of the time. People who have such friends it's usually someone they knew from elementary school or high school or college at the most anyway (I do think that is the main way people end up with friends that are nothing like them) They usually aren't going out of their way to just to expand their understanding of life or something in adulthood by befriending people of all positions from every possible walk of life or something. People do like people similar to them.
    Trees don't grow on money

My dad has been best friends with the same guy since 4th grade. Every year Dad spends a week with the guy and his wife (they are childless by choice). They have agreed never to talk about two topics - one is politics, the other is my Dad's weight.

But the last visit the friend asked my dad "do you know anybody more liberal than we are? And my Dad said "my granddaughter. She thinks it's criminal that i get to collect socal security. Anybody else want another beer?"

We argue politics in my family. We do not fight them. I would have trouble being friends with someone i saw actively working to change the world in ways i found harmful, but otoh, way back before dh became more sensible, i used to joke that i was going to get a rainbow tie-dyed t-shirt with a peace sign and the words "sleeping with the enemy since 1986"

Thread Information