Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Just did my first write up.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Be careful or you will move into a higher social order that will not allow you to claim victim status. You are teetering on the edge anyway, given your white man/ college graduate status, the traditional overlord.

I am kind of surprised that you will be The Man now, and wonder how that will sit with you.
    IL, I don't see myself as "The Man" - I am only doing this for the experience, the chance to save more money, and the chance to funnel money into a 401(K) with a decent match (in other words, I'm not leaving money on the table by not taking advantage of the match). As far as a career or long term - I just don't know. It's all about saving money right now for me, that is the extent of my agenda in this role. Certainly I take no identity from this role nor it is the reason for my living - it's just a chance to save more money. In return for this, while I am on the clock, I have to accept that I am going to encounter issues I'd rather not deal with - such as yesterday's write-up. Wanna save more money, I have to deal with these issues, that's a price tag to saving more money. So goes life, and whether or not I like this is completely irrelevant. So it is. Rob

Hey Rob, good for you. I know the discomfort of this. I have often wanted to move even more up and the difficulties of the role are a consideration. I am in a middle manager position as well, not always fun. However I do like being a good supervisor to my people and doing good work. It is a chance to show what quality can really look like with your vast experience.

I already had to do one this year, sigh. Like you it was an area in our work that is trained on often, clearly stated, and there is no room for error. Still never feels good.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    IL, I don't see myself as "The Man" - I am only doing this for the experience, the chance to save more money, and...just a chance to save more money....
    Spoken by oppressors everywhere! The minimizing language bolded is key to that mindset.

It is not sitting well with you because you aren't admitting your status in relation to others. Way to go! I actually utilize head-in-the-sand approaches to several things myself, it eases my life.

Spoken by oppressors everywhere! The minimizing language bolded is key to that mindset.

It is not sitting well with you because you aren't admitting your status in relation to others. Way to go! I actually utilize head-in-the-sand approaches to several things myself, it eases my life.
    You forgot "I was only following orders." I couldn't enforce policies I didn't believe in, as I explained to my superiors.

He's just doing it for the money, nothing wrong with that.

Considering many companies will ask employees to do immoral and even illegal things for the paycheck, and what he is doing doesn't sound like either, no there isn't anything wrong with it.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Considering many companies will ask employees to do immoral and even illegal things for the paycheck, and what he is doing doesn't sound like either, no there isn't anything wrong with it.
    I agree, nothing wrong with it. It would be funny though if the worker bees would pull out their smartphones and video his every movement while he's out policing the floor. I understand that's what's expected of the residents of the 85006.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I agree, nothing wrong with it. It would be funny though if the worker bees would pull out their smartphones and video his every movement while he's out policing the floor. I understand that's what's expected of the residents of the 85006.
    Alan, though we rarely agree I have often thought that your posts are fairly well thought out and that you are a man of some thinking, some education and some common sense (once again, even though we rarely see eye to eye). I'm not seeking issues with you by posting the following, I just want you to know this.

That said, I'm surprised with your not seeing the difference here - there is a HUGE TRIPLE GRAND CANYON WIDE SIZE DIFFERENCE (in all caps to get the idea of a huge difference across) between my upholding rules in the workplace during the course of my day in my new position (rules that are clearly stated more than once when any new temp signs up and passes screening for shifts and rules that are also repeatedly mentioned in temp service emails and meetings) vs. the police entering the 85006 - or any other zip code - and breaking the law by behaving like wild animals by illegal attacking innocent citizens. I offer for your perusal that sad sordid story of nurse Alex Wubbels in Salt Lake City, UT....you honestly believe this type of behavior does not go on on a daily basis all around the United States?

Ay carumba, Alan....Ay Carumba.....that's all I am going to say. And I don't want to get chatty and verbose and lose my main point, which is the very obvious difference between my upholding stated work rules that temps have signed to before accepting shifts vs. illegal police behavior in any zip code (I'm being generous today and not making the 85006 special). That's all, I've stated my truth and what seems glaringly obvious from my lower income perspective (though my checks are about to get much bigger, I will admit that, especially with the overtime I will soon be getting) from the 85006. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Thank You, ANM. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    He's just doing it for the money, nothing wrong with that.
    I honestly don't understand you, DMC.....this is a prime example here of why I don't understand conservatives. Here I am, finally moving up into some kind of promotion (though a very very very low level one to be honest, the point is it's moving up based on my own work and my own steam and my own ambition) and do you support this, say it's great I'm not on government assistance and it's great that I'm not on Medicaid any longer, with your taxes picking up my health care?

Right now I'm paying taxes so that the next Rob has access to health care and I'm doing it GLADLY especially after my serious illness last year that somehow was magically 100% picked up by Medicaid even though I was told by more than one social worker that Medicaid was not going to pick up the whole tab....my point is that I'M FINALLY PAYING INTO THE SYSTEM!!!!! Yes, I am and I'm proud of it, too.

If you don't gush or go on and on about how great this is, fine - I don't expect that. But to belittle my efforts to make something of myself, to pay into the system, to move somewhere better on my own steam and my own ambition - you yourself have proved here why myself and the 85006 in general will always be liberal. You have right here to some degree created a monster that you complain of.....just wanted to point that out to you as a Conservative. Whether this was your intention or not is besides the point....this is the net effect. Rob

Thread Information