Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Kondo thread: Is "Does it Spark Joy" the right Q?

I guess I don't read purpose that way as a single grandiose purpose, because it's doubtful I have one beyond paying bills either, but more as: does this line up with the things I value and want most in life, which I actually can relate to, far more so than to feelings of joy linked to things .... there are a few things maybe but most things are more useful than joyful.
    Last edited by ApatheticNoMore; 9-14-17 at 11:00pm.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I couldn't get through the Marie Kondo book, because of this philosophy. The whole thanking your socks for their service thing....She just seemed so invested in these utilitarian THINGS. The description of a lot of the rituals she started as a child just made me think "this chick is whacked". Sorry, but my socks don't have feelings and aren't happy because I fold them "the right way".
    That right there is why I've never even picked up the book...and I had a lot of decluttering books at one time (yes, I decluttered them too).
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

A little of Kondo seems to go a long way, and I've never been tempted to read her book. But lots of my possessions bring me joy as I'm not a "people person" in the slightest, so perusing art books and fingering fabric and marveling at my thrift store finds is more satisfying to me than making small talk or listening to gossip. YMMV.

I'm going to go with "does it give me some level of enjoyment or is it useful?"

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I'm going to go with "does it give me some level of enjoyment or is it useful?"
    Yeah, that's close enough. Satisfaction, enjoyment, contentment, happy thoughts.

Yppej
    Spark joy has worked at cutting down on purchases. I am not settling for okay.

Instead of asking does this thing spark joy, I could ask 2 questions:
    Is this thing useful to me?
    Is this thing beautiful or pleasing to me?

If at least one question is answered "yes", then the thing survives the purge.

P.S. I would only purge my own stuff from my own space. If other people are involved, it would be necessary to ask if a thing is beautiful or useful to anybody in the group.

From the 9/18 New Yorker:

Oddball: that is hilarious!

Thread Information