Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's Wrong with Amazon?

As a shopper, I've switch more to ebay from Amazon. One reason is that I do not have Amazon Prime and I can usually get free shipping off ebay.
    yes the shipping has gotten ridiculously expensive on Amazon.

I prefer the "buy it now" option to bidding, by far.
    yep I don't want to waste time playing games which more often than not are not in the buyer's favor anyway.

I don't buy enough (especially of anything expensive - I don't have any problems with $10 purchases either, but heck if I'm losing any sleep at night worrying about them coming a little late) and all options are reliable enough (amazon, direct through a retailer/manufacturers website, amazon marketplace etc.) not to sweat any of it too much really. As in my experience unless you run into a very rare crook out there (happened once for a book) everything comes in due time (and it's never yet come broken) even with slow shipping.
    Trees don't grow on money

See here in the need it now house, Amazon Prime two day delivery which is as good as going to a store to get a needed item. Ebay or any other place sometimes the days drag on for delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I haven't had problems, but I have noticed a change in who delivers many of my Amazon orders. Some that may have been delivered by UPS or USPS now seem to be delivered by some sort of third party independents in their own cars. On one occasion an older car filled with boxes pulled up in front of my house and I thought it was a homeless person living out of his car. It was an Amazon delivery. The delivery guy had no uniform or anything indicating a company. I've had a few other deliveries by some sort of third or unidentifiable party. Amazon has always been good about returns, although big things like refrigerators do present a return logistics problem.
    Ours have all been USPS from Amazon. I will say when we were rural living the USPS was delivered in an old beater car. I spoke to the Mail person( contract worker I believe) he had three of the same old cars to swap parts as need to keep the delivery going.

Not amazon, but I used Chewy.com this past week. $15 off coupon came for first time user along with a discount for auto reorder. I got a large great value box of dog food and chews. I am going to use them till the discount wears out. My guess is Amazon will buy Chewy.com eventually

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I would certainly be interested to see how they deliver refrigerators in the future. (it is my understanding, from our local carrier, that Amazon, signed an exclusive deal with the USPS to handle all its deliveries)
    Got to talk to our mail carrier in person. The boss screwed that up when he told me. Been screwing things like that up a lot lately, with his change in medications and diabetes issues. (means I need to watch him more carefully)
    All the carriers just renewed some contract/deals they had with Amazon.
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    yes the shipping has gotten ridiculously expensive on Amazon.
    I always consider the price, the price, and that includes shipping. You have places like wayfair, which advertise "and shipping is always free", by including it in their price, and then charging more to begin with (for those people like a former neighbor, who thought always paying more, means you get better).

Has anyone noticed the price dance on the Ebay buy it now option? Amazon has done it for a while but now Ebay is doing it as well. I have a few things bookmarked and noticed that the price changes every day or every few days. It is frustrating on Amazon and on EBay.

Quote Originally Posted by goldensmom View Post
    Has anyone noticed the price dance on the Ebay buy it now option? Amazon has done it for a while but now Ebay is doing it as well. I have a few things bookmarked and noticed that the price changes every day or every few days. It is frustrating on Amazon and on EBay.
    I have not noticed any changing prices on Ebay, but I did get an email yesterday from them asking me to make an offer lower than the buy it now price on some bowls for my daughter-in-law. I offered two thirds of the best offer--we'll see wha happens.

When I was visiting, she had bought some china at the Goodwill that I admired, and I figured out the pattern, and I thought I could add to her collection. It's a Pfalzgraff pattern and not hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by goldensmom View Post
    A few years ago, there was a member of several woodworking forums, whose signature was fishing the Amazon. He found all kinds of deals and great (not good) prices. One particular member would always buy, and six months later would be selling those same items through the classifieds and his Ebay account, "that was a gift". There are those that do it as they have or buy discounted gift cards, and the item you buy from them via ebay, comes from Amazon.
    So a couple ways it is done.

I just placed a Prime order, and the Delivery Date is the 28th! 6 days... that's a consideration for future orders. Now that I'm retired, I usually get past a store about every 10 days or so, so the easy of home delivery may not be worth the overall cost any more. Hmm.

Since this thread started, I have ordered two small items from amazon and both have been defective. Some curtain panels with oily stains on them and a light fixture that came without hardware. I have been reading up on how Amazon has changed their rules to make it easier for foreign vendors (Chinese) to sell. Then I read about all the counterfeiting going on and how US vendors are dropping like flies because they can't compete with the lower prices of counterfeited items. I would also wonder about the safety of these products. I don't know if it's all true but if so, I think we are swallowing some Koolaid about how wonderful amazon is. Especially when you see how they are taking over everything. In some other time, it would have been called a monopoly and it would not have been good for the big picture.

Thread Information