Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doing dishes, how picky

Doing dishes, how picky

Both my son and i love to cook, and dishes take time to get done. Typically the big items like baking trays and knives take time to get done. One of the issues is that they can't be put in the dishwasher. Today i put the baking sheets in the dishwasher, they are just not getting done. I know my son is more concerned than i am, i just want them cleaned faster.

How picky are you with dishes?

Are you asking if we put cookie sheets in the dishwasher? My thought is if it cannot go in the dishwasher I don't use it! Except for the crock pot which is an avocado green all in one.

The rest of the family is traveling right now, so I'm just pressure-washing the dishes out on the deck.

Like the deck idea, except living in an apartment. How about knives? I would freak out generations to put one in the dishwasher

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    Like the deck idea, except living in an apartment. How about knives? I would freak out generations to put one in the dishwasher
    I always hand-wash knives. I keep mine scary-sharp, and I don't like the thought of them bumping into other implements and requiring me to touch up the edge.

I've never had a dishwasher! I am fussy about dishes and glasses, but my pots and pans have old stains on them that would take bae's pressure washer to get them off. Those don't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I've never had a dishwasher! I am fussy about dishes and glasses, but my pots and pans have old stains on them that would take bae's pressure washer to get them off. Those don't bother me.
    Exactly - I had a several day backlog of pots/pans, that don't work in our dishwasher. And I really didn't want to scrub them by hand, it takes forever - then it occurred to me - the *pressure washer*. Turns out it works great, you get almost all the gunk off everything, then finish up with a quick hand-wash in the sink.

I can't wait until I put in the big double stainless-steel outdoors sink, I'm going to put in one of those dishwasher pressure sprayers. I don't know why I never thought of this before, the concept works so well in commercial kitchens.

Everything but cookie sheets goes in the dishwasher. My knives are not carbon steel. My mother in law cleaned her copper bottom pans so hard so long that she actually wore off the copper. The dishwasher uses hotter water and dries with higher heat than my hands can handle.

I feel metal will not absorb "germs" and the heat of cooking plus using foil, parchment paper, or silicone sheets will result in no need for sterilizing. Cleaning as you go helps to not have a pile at the end. I put my small pieces in a bowl of soapy water as I am finished with them while cooking. Then they are a quick wash and dry while dinner is cooking. Dishes go in dishwasher after dinner.

Baking pans, for me, never stay new looking very long.

Yppej
    I do not have a dishwasher nor do I want one. When things get too grubby I buy new ones. So I replace cookie sheets every few years. I should get a new big glass pan now that it is winter squash baking season. I had two pans equally bad looking and threw one out when decluttering. It is not worth the time to scrub and scrub until my arms and shoulders are sore.

I believe in the hygiene hypothesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post

I believe in the hygiene hypothesis.
    Me too. I put regular dishes in the dishwasher for efficiency, but I hand wash all pots and pans and anything that I think I might need before running the dishwasher, like spatulas, knives, etc. I have cast iron pans that probably have decades of crust (literally) on the outside surfaces , but I wash gently enough not to upset the seasoning of the inside. That's good enough for me.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information