Thread: Anyone used Magic Jack phone service?

Anyone used Magic Jack phone service?

Recently I was told about Magic Jack VOIP long-distance, text messaging etc service which in Canada is $35/year.
    That is an amazing deal and connects your home phone to your cellphone which would be great, I think.
    I have an emergency use monthly top-up service of $10 for my cellphone as I use it for photos, texting using my Wifi. I
    take the cellphone with me everywhere as it has my contacts, personal info for emergencies and is wonderful for photos.

Anyone using Magic Jack that can speak to the usage, pros and cons of the service etc? This could give the usual phone companies financial nightmares if it lives up to its claims. TIA
    http://www.magicjack.com/plans.html
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I did about 8-10 years ago. For making calls I remember it was Ok, receiving it seems to me the Computer had to be on. It was not for us, but I do not remember any really bad issues.

We have used MagicJack for years. That said, we do not have it hooked up to a cell phone. We use it for long distance and also have a landline and a tracphone so it is not our primary phone. We have not had any problems and it works well.

Confused as to your useage? So you would only connect to it via wifi, when that is available? What is the difference between that and Alan's recommendation in previous discussions of Google Voice?
    If your not in a wifi area, is your phone going to be turned off, so you won't receive any info being forwarded from it, using up your cell phone signal time?

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Confused as to your useage? So you would only connect to it via wifi, when that is available? What is the difference between that and Alan's recommendation in previous discussions of Google Voice?
    If your not in a wifi area, is your phone going to be turned off, so you won't receive any info being forwarded from it, using up your cell phone signal time?
    Use older version where we do not use it with the cell phone. See above. As stated we only use it for long distance. No other need.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Use older version where we do not use it with the cell phone. See above. As stated we only use it for long distance. No other need.
    My reply was to the original poster, because it is not clear if she thinks this will work with her cell phone, when not in a wifi area or not.
    If I were questioning your use, I would have quoted it (discussion within discussion verses the master discussion).

TMS, that was why I posted the link to the site. I was confused about what worked and when as well. Thought that someone who actually used it would give me some answers.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    My reply was to the original poster, because it is not clear if she thinks this will work with her cell phone, when not in a wifi area or not.
    If I were questioning your use, I would have quoted it (discussion within discussion verses the master discussion).
    You should have quoted her then to be clear.

Thread Information