Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Iris Lilies.........are you back from your vacation yet?

Iris Lilies.........are you back from your vacation yet?

Just wondering about St. Louis and the riots they are having. Wondered if you are home for them and if you are anywhere near them. What did you think about the not guilty verdict of the policeman?

We got back a few days ago.

The protesting which turns into rioting at night is taking place all over the region including a few blocks from me. I hope at the protesters saved their gear from Ferguson events because it would be a shame if they had to go out and buy new protesting gear.

I think there was enough evidence to prosecute the officer but by no means do I think it was clear cut either way, and I know that the judge who decided the verdict spent a great deal of time and thought in making his decision. One aspect of this case is that the policeman was accused of planting a gun in the car of the of the drug dealer who he shot. The judge said it would be an anomaly for a drug dealer not to carry a weapon in his car. So true. That doesnt stand as evidence of course, it just explains the judge's reasoning on the "planted gun" idea.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    We got back a few days ago.

The protesting which turns into rioting at night is taking place all over the region including a few blocks from me. I hope at the protesters saved their gear from Ferguson events because it would be a shame if they had to go out and buy new protesting gear.

I think there was enough evidence to prosecute the officer but by no means do I think it was clear cut either way, and I know that the judge who decided the verdict spent a great deal of time and thought in making his decision. One aspect of this case is that the policeman was accused of planting a gun in the car of the of the drug dealer who he shot. The judge said it would be an anomaly for a drug dealer not to carry a weapon in his car. So true. That doesnt stand as evidence of course, it just explains the judge's reasoning on the "planted gun" idea.
    IL, I know that we often have our differences of opinion.....but I wish you safety regardless. Please stay safe if things get out of hand.....I worry a bit as you state that the protests are going on not very far from you. Be safe!

That said, I do feel a little guilty that here in the 85006 this particular case has not drawn much attention at all. Right now the big thing here is DACA and the Wubbels incident in Salt Lake City, especially since today it was revealed that Detective Payne was disciplined for sexually harassing a female co-worker not long ago.....can anyone say Long Term Not Going Away Soon PR Nightmare For Salt Lake City, Utah? At any rate, DACA and Salt Lake are the current focus of 85006 activism. I will get better educated online as to this case and I'm off tomorrow - I have no problem leaving voice mails and sending emails in regards to this case. Just wanted you to know I may resemble slightly "The Man" but my heart remains committed to the 85006 and social justice.

And be safe! Rob

That doesnt stand as evidence of course, it just explains the judge's reasoning on the "planted gun" idea.
    The standard of "beyond a reasonable doubt" presents a challenge for prosecutors in criminal cases, as does the presumption of innocence and the burden of proof.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    IL, I know that we often have our differences of opinion.....but I wish you safety regardless. Please stay safe if things get out of hand.....I worry a bit as you state that the protests are going on not very far from you. Be safe!

That said, I do feel a little guilty that here in the 85006 this particular case has not drawn much attention at all. Right now the big thing here is DACA and the Wubbels incident in Salt Lake City, especially since today it was revealed that Detective Payne was disciplined for sexually harassing a female co-worker not long ago.....can anyone say Long Term Not Going Away Soon PR Nightmare For Salt Lake City, Utah? At any rate, DACA and Salt Lake are the current focus of 85006 activism. I will get better educated online as to this case and I'm off tomorrow - I have no problem leaving voice mails and sending emails in regards to this case. Just wanted you to know I may resemble slightly "The Man" but my heart remains committed to the 85006 and social justice.

And be safe! Rob
    Sure, thanks.

Feel free to call Mayor Lyda Krewson's office here in St. Louis as she is ultimately in charge of the police department. Give her some grief.

She spoke out against cops (without even reading the judge's decision) at the same time that cops were protecting her house and those of her neighbors from the rioting scumbags last night. Way NOT to go, Lyda.

I keep checking on my brother who lives in University City.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Sure, thanks.

Feel free to call Mayor Lyda Krewson's office here in St. Louis as she is ultimately in charge of the police department. Give her some grief.

She spoke out against cops (without even reading the judge's decision) at the same time that cops were protecting her house and those of her neighbors from the rioting scumbags last night. Way NOT to go, Lyda.
    and herein lies the problem. Without police lawlessness descends. In Hurricane hit areas people are looting, and going around posing as repairmen to rip people off. Price gouging, unlicensed repairs, and theft are all crimes against the little people. It is so rampant in Florida we have a local crimes against seniors office to help people from scams.

in St Louis the mob quickly escalates into rock throwing and so on. Other riots have seen destruction and looting of businesses (really stupid because them they have no where to shop) damaging cars of their neighbors and generally neighborhoods up win smoke

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Sure, thanks.

IL, I just want you to know that I got up early on my day off to get educated about what is going on in St. Louis as I feel really bad that injustice has slipped by myself and many other activists in the 85006. From what I am reading so far I side completely with the protesters and not to be difficult, I'm respecting your mayor thus far for her stances, especially her anti-police take after their behavior. It looks like St. Louis really is a powder keg, Ay Carumba, I thought Phoenix was bad given DACA and the Arpaio years but it seems as if St. Louis is the worst of America on an even higher plane than Phoenix.

I will be getting in touch with other activists to see about calls and emails that we can do on a long distance basis as we did in the case of the African American man not long ago in Edina, MN who was hassled by police there for no other reason than committing the crime of walking down a street as a black man in an upscale white area. I don't know if we can send some protesters out to St. Louis as we have to Salt Lake City.....most the folks with the time and some money to travel (partially helped by a couple of neighborhood car washes before the weather became so difficult) are in Salt Lake City or were there and have since returned. But I'll see what I can do - we of the 85006 deserve to live in a better country than that one we currently do in which this officer in St. Louis walked free. No negotiation on this one will you find in the 85006 once everyone's up to speed on the issue I'm afraid - human rights matter in the 85006 with no equivocation - that's another reason I am so proud to live in this zip code. At least here people matter and this goes beyond skin color.

At any rate, I'm getting verbose and veering off the point, sorry, this was not meant to be an advertisement for how great my zip code is. My point is that I am on it - at least I can get some long distance activism delivered for you'all out your way. I'll do so with pleasure.....I have no other choice as i have to look in the mirror at myself every day and live with what I see, and I saw America for what it is many years ago.....realistically I have no choice - very similar to my need to cross the border for health and dental care - there really is no other choice.

I'll close with I realize my stance here may not be going over so well with you - I still wish you and your neighbors safety. Be safe as best you can, IL - I'll grant right here and now I am not familiar with the politics and the ins and outs of your area, but it does seem like a powder keg - is this much an accurate take? Be safe, maybe stockpile some food while you can in case things get really crazy and have a plan to get out if need be. None of us can know how far the government will go to keep protest down and to attempt to miniminze the media portrayals of the protesting to the world beyond US borders. Keep safe as best you can from any government representatives including police - there is no guarantee the police - especially imported police not of your area that don't know you - will understand that you are not on the side of the protesters and allow you safe passage out of the area if things come to that. Just try to be safe from the government as best as possible is my advice. Hopefully the government will not escalate this to levels beyond Ferguson but you never know, and of course letting this officer walk free is completely inexcusable and unforgiveable and the protesters rightly see America as it really is and have the anger such vision imparts on one. Ick. Hang in there and be safe.......Rob

Iris Lilies (enjoyed your vacation pics!)
    On the news, I heard that the only fingerprints found on the retrieved gun, were the policeman's. Have you heard this too? I would hope that when a cop goes to retrieve things out of a car, he wears gloves, right?
    Maybe this bit of info was incorrect?
    I think whenever there are protests, there will always be people who are just mad about anything and it gives them an excuse to release their anger in a violent way. I don't know how much of this is going on.
    I don't want to discount those who truly feel the policeman was wrong...... But it's hard to know the truth.
    In your neck of the woods, IL, is it pretty divided as to how fair/unfair the verdict was?

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Iris Lilies (enjoyed your vacation pics!)
    On the news, I heard that the only fingerprints found on the retrieved gun, were the policeman's. Have you heard this too? I would hope that when a cop goes to retrieve things out of a car, he wears gloves, right?
    Maybe this bit of info was incorrect?
    I think whenever there are protests, there will always be people who are just mad about anything and it gives them an excuse to release their anger in a violent way. I don't know how much of this is going on.
    I don't want to discount those who truly feel the policeman was wrong...... But it's hard to know the truth.
    In your neck of the woods, IL, is it pretty divided as to how fair/unfair the verdict was?
    Read the judge's point by point decision. He addresses that.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/nationa...f37255c81.html

But I will give you that this case is more problematic that the shooting of the Sainted One, Gentle Giant MichaelBrown who was truly just a thug who went after a cop. Unfortunately for police officer Stockley in this recent case, it followed the Michael Brown/Ferguson shooting.

The main reason I believe there was significant evidence against Officer Stockley is that Jennifer Joyce, a prosecutor I trust, did not bring charges against him until several years later when additional facts surfaced. She did not, from what I can see, like to play politics.

Now her replacement is all about the race politics, so lucky us.

Thread Information