Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Iris Lilies.........are you back from your vacation yet?

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    IL, I just want you to know that I got up early on my day off to get educated about what is going on in St. Louis as I feel really bad that injustice has slipped by myself and many other activists in the 85006. From what I am reading so far I side completely with the protesters and not to be difficult, I'm respecting your mayor thus far for her stances, especially her anti-police take after their behavior. It looks like St. Louis really is a powder keg, Ay Carumba, I thought Phoenix was bad given DACA and the Arpaio years but it seems as if St. Louis is the worst of America on an even higher plane than Phoenix.

I will be getting in touch with other activists to see about calls and emails that we can do on a long distance basis as we did in the case of the African American man not long ago in Edina, MN who was hassled by police there for no other reason than committing the crime of walking down a street as a black man in an upscale white area. I don't know if we can send some protesters out to St. Louis as we have to Salt Lake City.....most the folks with the time and some money to travel (partially helped by a couple of neighborhood car washes before the weather became so difficult) are in Salt Lake City or were there and have since returned. But I'll see what I can do - we of the 85006 deserve to live in a better country than that one we currently do in which this officer in St. Louis walked free. No negotiation on this one will you find in the 85006 once everyone's up to speed on the issue I'm afraid - human rights matter in the 85006 with no equivocation - that's another reason I am so proud to live in this zip code. At least here people matter and this goes beyond skin color.

At any rate, I'm getting verbose and veering off the point, sorry, this was not meant to be an advertisement for how great my zip code is. My point is that I am on it - at least I can get some long distance activism delivered for you'all out your way. I'll do so with pleasure.....I have no other choice as i have to look in the mirror at myself every day and live with what I see, and I saw America for what it is many years ago.....realistically I have no choice - very similar to my need to cross the border for health and dental care - there really is no other choice.

I'll close with I realize my stance here may not be going over so well with you - I still wish you and your neighbors safety. Be safe as best you can, IL - I'll grant right here and now I am not familiar with the politics and the ins and outs of your area, but it does seem like a powder keg - is this much an accurate take? Be safe, maybe stockpile some food while you can in case things get really crazy and have a plan to get out if need be. None of us can know how far the government will go to keep protest down and to attempt to miniminze the media portrayals of the protesting to the world beyond US borders. Keep safe as best you can from any government representatives including police - there is no guarantee the police - especially imported police not of your area that don't know you - will understand that you are not on the side of the protesters and allow you safe passage out of the area if things come to that. Just try to be safe from the government as best as possible is my advice. Hopefully the government will not escalate this to levels beyond Ferguson but you never know, and of course letting this officer walk free is completely inexcusable and unforgiveable and the protesters rightly see America as it really is and have the anger such vision imparts on one. Ick. Hang in there and be safe.......Rob
    oh gosh, well. Thanks. I guess. For being " on it."

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    oh gosh, well. Thanks. I guess. For being " on it."
    Quite welcome. I do what I can, you know? I feel like this response is woefully inadequate given that we sent some protesters up to Salt Lake City recently - but it's better than nothing and is what can be put together quickly.

Stay safe!!!!! And I mean this both ways - both from protesters furious with the truth of America (it doesn't help in this situation that you are Causasian) and from any thuggish police officers or any other law breaking overzealous representatives of the government. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Quite welcome. I do what I can, you know? I feel like this response is woefully inadequate given that we sent some protesters up to Salt Lake City recently - but it's better than nothing and is what can be put together quickly.

Stay safe!!!!! And I mean this both ways - both from protesters furious with the truth of America (it doesn't help in this situation that you are Causasian) and from any thuggish police officers or any other law breaking overzealous representatives of the government. Rob
    Please stop addressing me in this issue of "the 85006" being "on it."

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    On the news, I heard that the only fingerprints found on the retrieved gun, were the policeman's. Have you heard this too? I would hope that when a cop goes to retrieve things out of a car, he wears gloves, right?
    Maybe this bit of info was incorrect?
    I think whenever there are protests, there will always be people who are just mad about anything and it gives them an excuse to release their anger in a violent way. I don't know how much of this is going on.
    I don't want to discount those who truly feel the policeman was wrong...... But it's hard to know the truth.
    In your neck of the woods, IL, is it pretty divided as to how fair/unfair the verdict was?
    Wrong. In a shooting, you need to separate a suspect from any weapons that may be used against you as quickly as possible. You don't wear gloves every second of every day.
    Where on the gun where fingerprints found? Were there any on any of the bullets in the gun? A total lack of fingerprints on both, would certainly be worse for both the shooter and shootie, as it could be contributed, but not linked to either.

IL.
    How long have the St. Louis police been under local control now? I know KC's mayor pushed for KC to be local, rather then state police, but lost that fight. That is something that I think Rob should be thinking about, because police are local and supported by local tax revenues, and the protesting they outsource, would be better spent dealing with their local police, then somewhere they don't support.
    There is a local police department that made our news recently. Raytown MO police, because the city said "we don't want you to cut officers, but we are cutting your budget in half" to which its chief replied "staff is (paraphrased as I don't remember the true amount) 80% of budget, so there is no way force won't be cut, and response times will go up not down"

You'd think they could find a better victim to riot over. According to some the police are killing plenty of innocent citizens. But a cop shooting a heroin dealer who had a gun seems like someone just looking for an excuse to riot.

Im thinking if there were not so many thugs, murderers, and drug dealers, the police would not have to draw their weapons as often.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Wrong. In a shooting, you need to separate a suspect from any weapons that may be used against you as quickly as possible. You don't wear gloves every second of every day.
    Where on the gun where fingerprints found? Were there any on any of the bullets in the gun? A total lack of fingerprints on both, would certainly be worse for both the shooter and shootie, as it could be contributed, but not linked to either.
    Of course they don't wear gloves all the time. DUH! In this view from another officer's body camera, the cop in question was leaning over into the car (the suspect had already been apprehended/shot), and was no longer in the car. The situation was no longer dangerous. At those times, they should be wearing gloves or at least not pick things up with their bare hands. Even if he had used his bare hands, there should have been other prints on the gun. Who knows for sure how accurate this was. It was the national news.

I think the news, social media, and CSI reruns are a much better way to reach a verdict than having a trial and parsing those pesky model jury instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Even if he had used his bare hands, there should have been other prints on the gun.
    Regular officers are not crime scene officers. My LEO relatives first day on the job, after the scene was cleared, they were told to go over and pick up the decapitated head and I am pretty sure they didn't have gloves.
    Why would their have been other prints on the gun? You don't think a suspect could be smart enough to not leave any on a stolen gun, that they might use for a crime and leave or have to loose if being chased?
    A car with someone who is a known drug dealer, and you expect CSI type of treatment for all those events? In my city, which is adjacent to KC, we have (to the best of my knowledge) two CSI type vans. (I know one of them) I believe the lab has a handful of people.

Every police officer I interact with carries nitrile exam gloves for BSI.

I don't know any officer these days who would willingly expose themselves to bodily fluids.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post

IL.
    How long have the St. Louis police been under local control now? I know KC's mayor pushed for KC to be local, rather then state police, but lost that fight. That is something that I think Rob should be thinking about, because police are local and supported by local tax revenues, and the protesting they outsource, would be better spent dealing with their local police, then somewhere they don't support.
    There is a local police department that made our news recently. Raytown MO police, because the city said "we don't want you to cut officers, but we are cutting your budget in half" to which its chief replied "staff is (paraphrased as I don't remember the true amount) 80% of budget, so there is no way force won't be cut, and response times will go up not down"
    Local control of police took place 4 years ago. I know that the police organizatiojs were against it but I am t close enough to see what has chamged.

Thread Information