Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Doing dishes, how picky

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post

I believe in the hygiene hypothesis.
    I do too. Hyper-cleanliness is way over-rated.

I am not sure what the question is, but I dont need the sanitizing action of a dishwasher on all items. I dont see anything wrong with hand washing items and I hand wash most all pots, pans, sheets. But when a cookie sheet fits into the dishwasher I will put it there.

i dont put pur quality knives in the dishwasher, however.

I mostly hand wash pots and pans. At least with my dishwasher you have to remove the grunge by hand even if you put them in the dishwasher. I can deal with the stains that eventually shown up on pots and pans, but not remnants of food stuff. I could argue that hand washing with dish detergents are as effective as the dishwasher routine for eliminating germs.

I always thought the dishwasher got things a lot cleaner than I could by hand. A childhood of dishwashing each night left me in love with the idea of the dishwasher, as I hate dirty dishes. Of course I don't wash my really good pots like Le Creuset or the copper ones in the dishwasher. I throw the knives in, much to my husband's dismay. But I figure if you don't wash it yourself (he cooks constantly) then you take however the other person cleans it.

He would enjoy the pressure washer method. But then we would have to set up the pressure washer all the time, and I would not want that out all the time.

Here's how unpicky I am: sometimes dishes come out of the dishwasher with tiny bits of food baked on. I tell DH, who is disgusted by it and won't eat from them, that those bits of food have been steamed cleaned and sanitized, so dont worry about it. If there are a LOT of bits, I will soak them and later scrub by hand. But only small bits of food on the plate are not big deal.

I have a very good immune system.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 9-18-17 at 9:26am.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Here's how unpicky I am: sometimes dishes come out of the dishwasher with tiny bits of food baked on. I tell DH, who is disgusted by it and won't eat from them, that those bits of food have been steamed cleaned and sanitized, so dont worry about it. If there are a LOT of bits, I will soak them and later scrum by hand. But only small bits of food is j the plate are now big deal.

I have a very good immune system.
    I have a crappy immune system, but I grew up in a fairly dirty house. My parents killed all germs with an infusion of gin. I forewent the gin, so maybe that is why my immune system never flourished.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Are you asking if we put cookie sheets in the dishwasher? My thought is if it cannot go in the dishwasher I don't use it! Except for the crock pot which is an avocado green all in one.
    Hahaha!! Loved hearing about the crock pot. I bet it is just like mine except mine is HARVEST GOLD! All one piece and heavy. Sometimes I look at the new sleek ones with insides that lift out and think about it..... then I think of my old friend who has been with me since the '70's and I remain faithful. It still cooks just as good as ever, so I think why replace it? Just nice to hear someone out there as a "cousin" to it.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Everything that can go in the dishwasher goes in the dishwasher. No rinsing, no pre-washing. Scrape off the big bits and done. That's why I have a dishwasher!

Exceptions: the "good" knives (stainless steel, but wood handles and, like bae, I'm not messing up their edges by tossing them in the dishwasher), cast iron, my commercial aluminum frying pans, and the little plastic leftover dishes which only bounce around from the water pressure. If I have room I will toss in plastic containers (though some plastic leftover dishes we use do not survive the hot wash water without deforming; this doesn't matter for the ones being recycled).

For the items which cannot be washed by machine, I'm a big fan of soaking them once I'm done using them.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I'm pretty picky in making sure dishes get cleaned well, but I don't own a dishwasher so this is all by hand. I'm pretty messy generally so no worries about any hygiene hypothesis for me, but eh I want things I am actually eating food off of or cooking food in to be clean.
    Trees don't grow on money

I usually prewash everything (mostly no soap, just water and a scrubbie to get off all the bits) before putting it in the dishwasher. After doing this, unless it's a huge load, I put it on light wash and disable the heated dry, and they come out fine.

Thread Information