Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Doing dishes, how picky

I have to add that I like shiny glasses. Sometimes DH washes glasses by hand, but they still look smudgy and hazy, and that drives me crazy. I like sparkly glasses!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I have to add that I like shiny glasses. Sometimes DH washes glasses by hand, but they still look smudgy and hazy, and that drives me crazy. I like sparkly glasses!
    Our glasses are smudged and yucky, again. I thonk it is the soft water and too much detergent problem, first suggested by FloatOn years ago.

White I do use a minimal amoint of dishwasher powder, I also accept that glasses will have to be replaced evey few years. I dont reall have glassware that is "nice" and that I use dailey, so it is ok. I have purchased our last set of glassware at thrift stores.

Not to be a party pooper here, but wouldn't tolerating a few streaks and stains be something that people who want to live more simply would accept?

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Not to be a party pooper here, but wouldn't tolerating a few streaks and stains be something that people who want to live more simply would accept?
    Do we get to choose the areas we will be "simple" in? Hmmm, yes, I think so. And rest assured,
    I am not trashing these glasses just yet even though they are cloudy. I want to work at cleanng them up before jettisonng them, to make sure that it is actually etched glass, not just layers of grime. They came froma thrift store, not new.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I don't think that necessarily follows. I find that cleanliness of environment is the ultimate in simplicity--things are more peaceful in a clean, beautiful environment, so for me, stains and streaks disturb that simplicity.

oh CathyA was just remarking on the wastefulness of replacing dishes, which is minimal if they all are bought and returned to the thrift store. Noone is saying not to wash them or even scrub them till they shine if you want. Since my dishes are simple clear glass they always polish up (but sometimes they break). But in general there is a lot to be said for the hippy not so fancy aesthetic in my view even if every thing you own can't be made to look spotless, because it's a lot more easily achieved.

Still considering we all buy one use and then recycle glass all the time (when food comes in it etc.) it's hard to get too worked up about it.
    Trees don't grow on money

I definitely wasn't referring to cleanliness. I, too, like a "pretty", clean environment. But I have to ask myself, even if I give my dishes to Goodwill that have a few stains and cracks and buy new......how does that affect things.....from resources to trash, etc.

I just like to question things. Yes, I recycle just about everything and take tons of stuff to Goodwill. Recycling takes energy and resources too. And our recycling company in this area says they don't take drinking glasses.
    We all have our "weaknesses". And any attempts to simplify our consumption and trash is good. I'm just as guilty as the next person, if there's something out there I really want. But I do like to think about things and consequences.
    Like I know I wear fairly worn (clean) clothes a lot.......to shopping, dentist, doc's, etc. But I figure that that isn't my focus and it in some way helps the earth. (Of course, it doesn't help the economy, but that's not my focus).
    I once heard that "recycling makes people who consume too much feel less guilty". That's true! Recycling is good, but using less is even better.

I like that: Recycling is good, but using less is even better.

Going to have to remember it and tell others.

If I can squeeze it in the dishwasher...in it goes.
    I need new knives. The only good one in the house right now is my Corbin Newcomb fish filet knife (Corbin is a family friend)
    My airbake cookie sheets and pizza pans say no dishwasher and currently look pretty cruddy. I will probably buy some new ones.
    I'm not very good at scrubbing the stains. I know there are tricks out there: the baking soda/peroxide mix still took too much elbow grease.
    Capture.JPG Yuck!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    If I can squeeze it in the dishwasher...in it goes.
    I need new knives. The only good one in the house right now is my Corbin Newcomb fish filet knife (Corbin is a family friend)
    My airbake cookie sheets and pizza pans say no dishwasher and currently look pretty cruddy. I will probably buy some new ones.
    I'm not very good at scrubbing the stains. I know there are tricks out there: the baking soda/peroxide mix still took too much elbow grease.
    Yuck!
    Over the weekend we went to an estate sale and I bought a 13 inch Le Creuset frying pan for $11.

I have been spraying the outside of the pan with Easy Off outside to remove the layers and layers of grime.

I figure the inside of an oven and enameled cast iron are pretty much the same thing.

Thread Information