Thread: How Do You Cut Butternut Squash?

Yppej

How Do You Cut Butternut Squash?

I like to cut my squash in half lengthwise so I can melt butter on the hollow when baking it, but this is very hard to do. Knives cut crooked. I"ve used a handsaw but it cuts jagged. Last year I read up on electric knives but it appeared they are designed for cooked turkeys and are not sturdy enough for winter squashes.

I haven't tried it, but I'd probably put in the Instant Pot until it softened up a bit before cutting.

I usually bake butternut squash and then mash it up and freeze it. I've learned to bake it whole and avoid wrestling with a knife...... But if I cut it raw, I use a big thick heavy knife to cut through it. You just have to be strong about it and cut straight. I know that doesn't help you much.........

I use a cleaver. Start the cut with a more manageable knife if you like, but use the weight and heft of the cleaver to ... well, cleave the squash. Sometimes I even use the cleaver lodged in the squash as a bit of a handle and tap the squash against the cutting board. Works great for me.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Oh, and there's always a chain saw!

Yppej
    I don't have a chainsaw, but my son has been using the Steve method and banging the squash with the knife embedded in it against an old table.

I think you can microwave them briefly to slightly soften them, then use a wide chef's knife or cleaver on them a bit more easily.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I get a knife started and then tap it on the edge of the blade opposite the cutting edge with a hammer.

Thread Information