Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Costco?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Thoughts on Costco?

Last month I did a secret shop at Costco. This was a lucrative shop, too, in that it paid $20 for a simple inquiry as to their Citi Branded Credit Card AND (get this!) reimbursed $60 for the annual fee for a basic Costco membership.

Today was my second time in there since I've had a membership and I have to say, some of the prices are good and some are not all that competitive. Like anything else ,you have to know your prices. Among the deals I found - really nice high quality bath towels for 4.99, a huge jar of hummus for 5.49, among other deals. But I also noticed that electronics, laptops, and appliances - meh - better prices can be found elsewhere. What are your thoughts on Costco? Rob

Love Costco. They treat their customers and their employees well.
    I like to support local businesses...

I dislike the huge quantities and limited choices in warehouses.

I really like the limited choices but not the huge quantities. I think I am a general store kind of shopper. We do go to Sam's for tires, sleepers for the grandchildren, and cheese. The cheese choices are limited but we love all the choices, so there is that.

Things I don't like:

- Over-huge containers of things I don't use that often
    - Having to be a "member" and keeping track of a membership card and expiration periods
    - The parking lot madness
    - The feeding frenzy inside if you go at the wrong hour
    - Limited selection
    - Offerings of things that are *close* to what you want, but not the exact thing
    - Spending an entire day, and $70 in ferry fees to get to/from the nearest one

Things I like:
    - Often someone with a truck or van from the neighborhood will do a "Costco run" to the mainland, and take orders for what you want.
    - The nearby one has great real cheeses, at great prices. And good wine prices/selection
    - The local one also has reasonably-ethically-sourced fish and meat (along with not-so-good fish/meat), with good quality/price
    - If you really need bulk quantities of items, it's a nice source - paper plates/cups/silverware, party supplies, restaurant supplies

On my own, I'd never set foot inside one again, I prefer Amazon Prime-ing whatever I need if I can't find it decently-priced locally, but if someone is going there and willing to pick up the half-dozen regular items I like from there, I won't complain.

Doubt if you can find a fresh almost 3 pound rot. chicken for $4.99 anywhere else. I cannot even get a raw chicken that size for that price and Costco cooks it perfectly.

I get my maple syrup, nuts in quantity, gluten free pizza, berries, wine, samosas, oatmeal, instant Starbucks coffee, shelled pistachios, etc. all for great prices.

I was amazed that they sell the cooked chicken for $4.99 even in Alaska where everything is more expensive. If you think the Lower 48 stores are crowded, dont go into the one in Anchorage Alaska. I am amazed that they can keep it stocked. People from all over the state shop there and ship back home.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Doubt if you can find a fresh almost 3 pound rot. chicken for $4.99 anywhere else. I cannot even get a raw chicken that size for that price and Costco cooks it perfectly.
    We've raised chickens. I know how much it costs to raise a chicken ethically, and deal with the processing. I can't imagine the lives those $4.99 chickens led. (Well, I can...) No thanks.

There are some things that are great, some not so great. For instance dry pasta and tuna are cheaper at the Safeway across the street from our house. But the olive oil at Costco is good. And cheap.

I only go maybe once every couple of months, spend between $150-$200 on almost exactly the same stuff every time. SO has his work pay for the membership because he spends probably $30,000/year there on gifts and prizes for his employees.

Kitty litter, wine, coffee beans, organic extra virgin olive oil, organic maple syrup. I think it's safe to say that our kitty litter savings alone more than cover our membership, although one day one of us is going to drop dead trying to lug that 44-lb carton into the house. Prescription meds and eyeglasses are great deals too.

Love Costco. There are just the 2 of us. I buy most of our organic veggies there in the winter. Organic olive oil. Pacific wild fish, organic chicken, organic grapes, organic honeycrisp apples, organic hummus ...just a small part of what I bought today.

We save a small fortune. but I buy nothing in a box, very few cans, and almost no bottles. It truly depends on WHAT you buy determining if it's a good buy or not.

Thread Information