Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Donald Trump's threat to destroy North Korea during his UN speech?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think it was exactly the right place to do it. When a nation goes rogue, as North Korea definitely has, letting the UN, and especially China, know that if they don't do something about it, the US will be forced to do it for them seems appropriate.
    +1

Sanctity of human life, then you ought to visit North Korea (think we had a tour thread a while back).

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Simply put, why am I terrified of this speech? The floor of the UN is not the appropriate time and place to make such threats and to be so bombastic - with the potential price tag of untold millions of civilian lives. I find it amazing that even though I am very much miscast in my role as a US Citizen, and even though I've already posted that my "tribe" in life tends to be comprised of those society would consider "other" - even I get this. Even I understand that this speech went too far and was disrespectful towards the dignity and sanctity of human life. I find myself slightly flattered that even though I am an outsider in most aspects of this society, I truly understand that this speech was a horrible, horrible thing. Maybe it's true that it's best to be an outsider as those on the outside looking in? Their gift is that they to see things clearly - and I see this speech as a threat to untold millions of human lives and it furthermore shames me to be a US citizen to have Trump in office making such an over the top and inappropriate speech with utter disregard for the potential consequences. At least I'm part of the resistance in my zip code, I can comfort myself with that but that doesn't mean much if in fact nuclear war were to take place. Rob
    The UN has provided a venue for many a thug, tyrant and murderer (including some Nobel laureates) for many years now. What's so shocking about the US trying to contain the threat of nuclear weapons in the hands of a guy who feeds people to dogs? Does your gift of clarity not tell you that every president of the postwar era has made (with varying degrees of eloquence) that same "threat to untold million"? It's been a fact of life for decades. You may consider standing up to the likes of Kim shameful. Speaking for myself, and not my zip code, blood type or hat size, I take a certain amount of pride in it.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    The UN has provided a venue for many a thug, tyrant and murderer (including some Nobel laureates) for many years now. What's so shocking about the US trying to contain the threat of nuclear weapons in the hands of a guy who feeds people to dogs? Does your gift of clarity not tell you that every president of the postwar era has made (with varying degrees of eloquence) that same "threat to untold million"? It's been a fact of life for decades. You may consider standing up to the likes of Kim shameful. Speaking for myself, and not my zip code, blood type or hat size, I take a certain amount of pride in it.
    Ridiculous... one maniac antagonizing another. No pride in that!

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Ridiculous... one maniac antagonizing another. No pride in that!
    What *should* Trump's response be to the Korean nuclear tests, and their ballistic missile overflights of Japan (an ally we are bound by treaty to defend), and their threats against the US mainland and Guam?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    What *should* Trump's response be to the Korean nuclear tests, and their ballistic missile overflights of Japan (an ally we are bound by treaty to defend), and their threats against the US mainland and Guam?
    I would like to know that, too.
    I have been thinking about the movie Bad Day at Black Rock. It seems apropos.

I'm sure any one of a number of humans having even a nodding acquaintance with statecraft and/or diplomacy could come up with a better speech than that cretinous clod did. Or maybe he'd just like to get down in the mud and wrestle Kim Jong Un. We've done just fine ignoring N. Korea for sixty years, and Twitter-boy is not the one to ride to the rescue. An all-out war would probably--at least temporarily--save him from the Russian money-laundering/American election rigging juggernaut barreling toward him. He certainly doesn't care how many lives may be lost in the process.

Anyone read the text of the speech?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Anyone read the text of the speech?
    It would seem not.

I'm reminded that many of the nation's Democratic leaning newspapers were once critical of the Gettysburg Address, not because of content, but rather because of the speaker. Not to compare the two, but some things never change.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    It would seem not.
    Understood. It is the end of life. Eternity stops. Go out into the tunnel. To the chamber of the ages. Cry for the children. Walk carefully in the vault of tomorrow. Sorrow for the murdered children. The thing you search for is there. Go. Go. Sadness. Sadness for the end of things.

But I don't think we're just doing fine, given the fact he is launching missiles and detonating hydrogen bombs.

Thread Information