Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Donald Trump's threat to destroy North Korea during his UN speech?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    He shouldn't have to talk like that. It should simply be understood.
    I think from the wording and context that this was some final posturing to the UN: "Do your job, or we will..." In combination with speeches from other administration officials over the past few weeks, it's presenting a picture of "the US is about to Do Something if y'all don't, and soon..."

Frankly, China should just take care of it ASAP. But I suspect they won't.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I think we should have handled it a long time ago. We've sort of painted ourselves into a corner at this point.

I suppose I'd be tempted to bluster in language Kim could understand, while quietly working on a plan to remove him from office with minimal force and replace him with someone more reasonable.
    But what plan could we have had to remove him? I'm sure we could have somehow assassinated him, but how could we have been sure who would replace him? I wonder if anyone else in his regime would be as crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I think from the wording and context that this was some final posturing to the UN: "Do your job, or we will..." In combination with speeches from other administration officials over the past few weeks, it's presenting a picture of "the US is about to Do Something if y'all don't, and soon..."

Frankly, China should just take care of it ASAP. But I suspect they won't.
    Yes, I think that was the message that was supposed to get across to the UN. Do what you are supposed to do, or we will be forced do it.

From what I have read based on history, the US has invaded a number of countries like Iraq and left chaos in its wake. North Korea has armed itself with nuclear strength to prevent such a takeover. The UN may not like what North Korea is doing but there is little that can be legally done until serious attacks take place.
    Iraq's chaos has scared a number of countries from proceeding with an invasion of any kind.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    But what plan could we have had to remove him? I'm sure we could have somehow assassinated him, but how could we have been sure who would replace him? I wonder if anyone else in his regime would be as crazy?
    I would not assume at all that he can be reached for assassination.

I think anyone in N. Korea would be more sane. But what do I know.

It was an interesting juxtaposition - Trump going on and on about sovereignty and then threatening to destroy North Korea for exercising it.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    It was an interesting juxtaposition - Trump going on and on about sovereignty and then threatening to destroy North Korea for exercising it.
    Good point! I hadn't thought of this but you have a point here in my book. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    Is it sovereignty for them to fire a missile over Japan? (who we are pledged to defend since dearming them for the most part, since WWII?
    That would be like us firing a missile over Mexico and not expecting feedback.
    I haven't seen them fire one over their neighbor, South Korea. Why not? I expect that would be a violation of the Armistice treaty they have kept, since the cease fire. We still have people stationed over there, and it is still technically a war zone.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    + 1,000,000 Preach it CathyA, preach it!!! I couldn't agree with you more with your take here. Rob
    The speech was a bit more nuanced than that, of course.

"We do not expect diverse countries to share the same cultures, traditions or even systems of government. But we do expect all nations to uphold these two core sovereign duties: to respect the interests of their own people and the rights of every other sovereign nation. "

Worth reading it.

Williamsmith
    Perhaps it's my choice to see humor in the darkest of places but I really got a chuckle out of the "Rocket Man" comment. laughter is the best medicine.

I suspect the plan has been well known for some time exactly what will happen to rocket man as soon as we tire of him shooting spitwads harmlessly into the ocean.

But for now, he is a fine tool for diplomatic leverage against China and an very nice excuse to boost our military industrial complex. For now, we are actually probably protecting him.

Thread Information