Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Donald Trump's threat to destroy North Korea during his UN speech?

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    It was a very good speech except for the rocket man addition. Welll written, sensible and articulate so obviously he did not write it.

Many issues were sensible. Resettling refugees near their home region? I've seen worse ideas. We all want to be "home" and practice our own culture. our nation's democratic and republican leaders as well as world leaders have let this issue fester for many years and finally it is an open sore that needs to be addressed. Immigration reform in our own country is long overdue, as well in many other countries.

Standing up to North Korea. I know this is the pot calling the kettle black but standing up to bullies has to be done sometimes.

The issue with North Korea is if we use Nuclear bombs you know who will die. The citizens. I can't imagine a less pro life thing to do from an administration that is determined to stop abortion. Of course, there is a huge difference between pro-birth (a good way to keep women in their place) and pro life which would actually help people get health care and value public education. But I digress

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    For anyone not knowing, Donald Trump just spoke before the United Nations and in his speech he threatened to "totally destroy North Korea". Thoughts? For myself, I am getting very frightened by this president and I'm not quite confident that something catastrophic lies ahead in the not too distant future. The kind of event in which it won't matter if you have two bags packed, access to cash and a plan to run......I hope I'm wrong but as of today, Donald Trump terrifies me and I'm not ashamed to admit this - I'm only ashamed that he was elected in the first place.

Anyone have any thoughts/take(s) on this infamous speech? Rob
    Why would this particular speech be so terrifying? Trump isn't the first president to promise retaliation in the event of a North Korean attack. Even bold Bill Clinton spoke of ending North Korea with "massive retaliation". I think it's important that the world in general and Kim in particular understand the potential consequences.

And why make Trump your ogre of choice? Kim hasn't shrunk from murdering his own relatives Bond villain style, with nerve agents and artillery. Why are you so distressed at a promise to fight back?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    And why make Trump your ogre of choice? Kim hasn't shrunk from murdering his own relatives Bond villain style, with nerve agents and artillery.
    Your forgetting the uncle he fed alive to the dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Perhaps it's my choice to see humor in the darkest of places but I really got a chuckle out of the "Rocket Man" comment. laughter is the best medicine.

I suspect the plan has been well known for some time exactly what will happen to rocket man as soon as we tire of him shooting spitwads harmlessly into the ocean.

But for now, he is a fine tool for diplomatic leverage against China and an very nice excuse to boost our military industrial complex. For now, we are actually probably protecting him.

Then this is for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

very nice excuse to boost our military industrial complex
    I think this has a lot to do with all of this. And what is China's place in all of this?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I think this has a lot to do with all of this. And what is China's place in all of this?
    According to a second hand conversation..... (wish I had been there for it)
    China thinks of it as their coal producer, and if he keeps that up, they don't worry about him much. But they also believe they have the right to run it over and rule there, if he fails to supply them. (according to what I was told, they also have plans for this country and it isn't if, but when, as they have been around for thousands of years)
    They are worried about basically something we do, making their needs radioactive and unusable.

China is a member of the UN. and the major supplier/dealer with North Korea.

They also do not want a large number of North Korean refugees to deal with as happened before.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    According to a second hand conversation..... (wish I had been there for it)
    China thinks of it as their coal producer, and if he keeps that up, they don't worry about him much. But they also believe they have the right to run it over and rule there, if he fails to supply them. (according to what I was told, they also have plans for this country and it isn't if, but when, as they have been around for thousands of years)
    They are worried about basically something we do, making their needs radioactive and unusable.

China is a member of the UN. and the major supplier/dealer with North Korea.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Why would this particular speech be so terrifying? Trump isn't the first president to promise retaliation in the event of a North Korean attack. Even bold Bill Clinton spoke of ending North Korea with "massive retaliation". I think it's important that the world in general and Kim in particular understand the potential consequences.

And why make Trump your ogre of choice? Kim hasn't shrunk from murdering his own relatives Bond villain style, with nerve agents and artillery. Why are you so distressed at a promise to fight back?
    Simply put, why am I terrified of this speech? The floor of the UN is not the appropriate time and place to make such threats and to be so bombastic - with the potential price tag of untold millions of civilian lives. I find it amazing that even though I am very much miscast in my role as a US Citizen, and even though I've already posted that my "tribe" in life tends to be comprised of those society would consider "other" - even I get this. Even I understand that this speech went too far and was disrespectful towards the dignity and sanctity of human life. I find myself slightly flattered that even though I am an outsider in most aspects of this society, I truly understand that this speech was a horrible, horrible thing. Maybe it's true that it's best to be an outsider as those on the outside looking in? Their gift is that they to see things clearly - and I see this speech as a threat to untold millions of human lives and it furthermore shames me to be a US citizen to have Trump in office making such an over the top and inappropriate speech with utter disregard for the potential consequences. At least I'm part of the resistance in my zip code, I can comfort myself with that but that doesn't mean much if in fact nuclear war were to take place. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Simply put, why am I terrified of this speech? The floor of the UN is not the appropriate time and place to make such threats and to be so bombastic ....
    I think it was exactly the right place to do it. When a nation goes rogue, as North Korea definitely has, letting the UN, and especially China, know that if they don't do something about it, the US will be forced to do it for them seems appropriate.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

The whole thing is making me want to rewatch North by Northwest.

Thread Information