Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Donald Trump's threat to destroy North Korea during his UN speech?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Thoughts on Donald Trump's threat to destroy North Korea during his UN speech?

For anyone not knowing, Donald Trump just spoke before the United Nations and in his speech he threatened to "totally destroy North Korea". Thoughts? For myself, I am getting very frightened by this president and I'm not quite confident that something catastrophic lies ahead in the not too distant future. The kind of event in which it won't matter if you have two bags packed, access to cash and a plan to run......I hope I'm wrong but as of today, Donald Trump terrifies me and I'm not ashamed to admit this - I'm only ashamed that he was elected in the first place.

Anyone have any thoughts/take(s) on this infamous speech? Rob

I think he's speaking with the same vocabulary that Kim Jong-un is.

What are your thoughts about Kim's recent similar speeches, his nuclear weapons tests, and his missile launches?

What stage is the UN process in, with respect to Kim's actions? What's the next step?

The text of the speech itself makes interesting reading:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.55d884d5c9cd

Two narcissists with arrested development who have way too much firepower at their disposal.
    Each day brings a new embarrassment.

Well, Neville Chamberlin didn't do so well in retrospect...

The particular "threatening" text in the speech reads as such:

"The United States has great strength and patience, but if it is forced to defend itself or its allies, we will have no choice but to totally destroy North Korea. Rocket Man is on a suicide mission for himself and for his regime. The United States is ready, willing and able, but hopefully this will not be necessary. That’s what the United Nations is all about; that’s what the United Nations is for. Let’s see how they do."

If North Korea launches an actual attack with its new nuclear weapons and missiles, what is the proper response?

I just hate it when Trump says stuff like "Rocket man". Who the hell is this guy and why is he pretending to be our president??

Okay....... How do you think things should be handled bae? It's a really difficult situation, since so many innocent people could die, if we strike N. Korea (esp. south Koreans). But how long do we wait to keep Kim from doing something horrible to us? I'm sure glad I don't have to make the decision. Yes, it's so much worse with Trump as president. He's such a baby bully. Will we wait until Kim sends a nuclear missile to the U.S., and just keep our fingers crossed that we can explode it before it gets here? ........and what happens to the fallout from that? (nuclear, I mean). If we truly felt he was getting dangerously close to sending that missile, would we bomb the hell out of his entire country, so they couldn't send any more missiles anywhere?
    It's such a horrible situation...........and to think that it's Trump who's dealing with it makes it so much worse.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I just hate it when Trump says stuff like "Rocket man". Who the hell is this guy and why is he pretending to be our president??

Okay....... How do you think things should be handled bae? It's a really difficult situation, since so many innocent people could die, if we strike N. Korea (esp. south Koreans). But how long do we wait to keep Kim from doing something horrible to us? I'm sure glad I don't have to make the decision. Yes, it's so much worse with Trump as president. He's such a baby bully. Will we wait until Kim sends a nuclear missile to the U.S., and just keep our fingers crossed that we can explode it before it gets here? ........and what happens to the fallout from that? (nuclear, I mean). If we truly felt he was getting dangerously close to sending that missile, would we bomb the hell out of his entire country, so they couldn't send any more missiles anywhere?
    It's such a horrible situation...........and to think that it's Trump who's dealing with it makes it so much worse.
    + 1,000,000 Preach it CathyA, preach it!!! I couldn't agree with you more with your take here. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Okay....... How do you think things should be handled bae?
    I think we should have handled it a long time ago. We've sort of painted ourselves into a corner at this point.

I suppose I'd be tempted to bluster in language Kim could understand, while quietly working on a plan to remove him from office with minimal force and replace him with someone more reasonable.

If he does nuke us, well, that calls for something more than a harsh speech at the UN. My uncle is still at his post on the USS Arizona in Pearl Harbor. We nuked Japan, twice, after that. Plus the firebombings of course.

He shouldn't have to talk like that. It should simply be understood.

Thread Information