Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ipad mini with cellular questions

Ipad mini with cellular questions

I went into a local Apple store to look at iPhones. I told them of my usage and goals and was recommended to get an iPad mini with cellular instead as it would better meet my stated needs. I was told that I could get cellular for a very modest cost as a feature of Apple iPad that was negotiated years ago with the introduction of the iPad.
    This was the first I had heard of this feature. Anyone help me understand what this is all about? TIA
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I don't understand what you are saying--is there an ipad with a phone function?

No, not a phone. It uses cellular instead of wifi to get data (eg web pages).

Ipads are available in two forms:

- wifi only
    - wifi + cellular data : this allows purchasing a data plan from a cell vendor so you can use the tablet when wifi isn't available.

On iPads, the wifi+cellular has far better GPS/location capabilities, so if you wish to use the tablet for navigation, even offline, get the wifi+cellular version.

Razz,
    I use an IPAD mini multiple hours a day. LOve it. While mine is enabled for cellular service, I have never signed up for a cellular plan. So doh, I do not use it in cellular communications.

Do you really want and need voice or texting communications on this device?

I have NOT moved to a smart phone because

1) I do not want/need voice communication
    2) I do not care about texting service
    3) I do NOT want to use the web on a screen as small as a smart phone.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    No, not a phone. It uses cellular instead of wifi to get data (eg web pages).
    Apparently, if one has an iPhone and iPad close together, one can use that cellular feature of the iPad Mini on the phone. It was too much for me to take in without doing some research to gain a greater understanding. No other Apple product but the iPad has this unique cellular feature. I am struggling to understand what it all means.
    Presently, I use wifi with my MacBook Air and my iPhone at home and wherever free wifi is available. I presently do not have a cellular data plan of any kind and prepay a monthly fee of $10 for my iPhone for just a phone with Bell Mobility. My phone is an emergency use only as well as my camera and texting.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Razz,
    I use an IPAD mini multiple hours a day. LOve it. While mine is enabled for cellular service, I have never signed up for a cellular plan. So doh, I do not use it in cellular communications.

Do you really want and need voice or testing communications on this device?

I have NOT moved to a smart phone because

1) I do not want/need voice communication
    2) I do not care about texting service
    3) I do NOT want to use the web on a screen As small as a smart phone.
    How weird. When I hit quick reply, your post is different, IL. I wanted to say, did you mean you DON't have a smart phone you have the ipad mini instead? I have a small iPhone and the screen is too damn small, but my kids text me a lot and send me pictures.

iPhones and iPads, if they have the cellular radio and a data plan, can serve as wifi hotspots for other devices, if the carrier who offers your data plan allows it.

So you can have one device serve basically as your wifi connection for several other of your devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    How weird. When I hit quick reply, your post is different, IL. I wanted to say, did you mean you DON't have a smart phone you have the ipad mini instead? I have a small iPhone and the screen is too damn small, but my kids text me a lot and send me pictures.
    I edited it to make sense, you arent crazy!

Not sure that I am getting my question properly phrased.
    The Apple store staff told me that above and beyond any usual cellular data plans for all other devices, iPads have a special unique cellular data rate that Steve Jobs arranged when iPads were first released. That is what I am querying.

Thread Information