Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ipad mini with cellular questions

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Not sure that I am getting my question properly phrased.
    The Apple store staff told me that above and beyond any usual cellular data plans for all other devices, iPads have a special unique cellular data rate that Steve Jobs arranged when iPads were first released. That is what I am querying.
    I suspect the staff is confused:

Ipads upon their initial release had an unlimited data plan through AT&T. They stopped offering this plan to new purchasers after just a couple of months. They are grandfathered and transferable, so if you purchased an iPad in the first month or so of their release, you could move this to your future iPads. Recently, AT&T began throttling the speeds of this plan if you used "too much". For new purchasers, this is just history, as there is no way you can get your hands on the ancestral unlimited plan.

I abandoned my grandfathered iPad plan last week for an "unlimited" plan from T-mobile, which has much better coverage in my area, higher speeds, and is more "unlimited" than the AT&T version, and provides better for international travel.

Thanks, Bae, that ties in with what staff were telling me including the AT&T aspect but they could not give me more details on the amount of actual data per month for $?. It started at $10/month which would then be banked if unused. I thanked them for the info and said I needed to think it all through first.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I suspect the staff is confused:

Ipads upon their initial release had an unlimited data plan through AT&T. They stopped offering this plan to new purchasers after just a couple of months. They are grandfathered and transferable, so if you purchased an iPad in the first month or so of their release, you could move this to your future iPads. Recently, AT&T began throttling the speeds of this plan if you used "too much". For new purchasers, this is just history, as there is no way you can get your hands on the ancestral unlimited plan.

I abandoned my grandfathered iPad plan last week for an "unlimited" plan from T-mobile, which has much better coverage in my area, higher speeds, and is more "unlimited" than the AT&T version, and provides better for international travel.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I have an iPad mini without cellular data. When I want to connect to the internet and wifi isn't around, I tether to my iPhone. I love the mini, btw. It's such a nice size.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My ipad (work provided) does not have cellular, and I just tether it to my iPhone if I want to use the internet when I'm not in the office or at home, so I'm not in the market for new cellular plans. But a quick google search turned up this article from June. Apparently AT&T is currently offering a $30 unlimited data for tablets plan, but they reserve the right to cancel it at any point in the future, so you could end up 2 or 3 or 6 months from now losing the awesome deal.

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2013...-compared.html

I am like the person who walks into the store and sees 10 styles of jeans on display and walks away buying nothing.
    Give me clear options with clear directions for use and not too many and I will choose.
    Apparently that is a common problem with humans as some research has shown.

I will stick with my 5S iPhone for what I need and use for now.

My digital phone service is working out well after the wrinkles were ironed out.

I have unlimited wifi and unlimited long distance phone calls across Canada 24/7 and .015 cents a minute for calling the US which it turns out are almost all 1-800 numbers anyway. Once or twice a month calling family in US for about .90 cents each time.

When I posted the OP, it sounded as though the monthly cellular for a mini-iPad was the same as my present monthly prepaid emergency-use iPhone. It sounded too good to be true.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I am like the person who walks into the store and sees 10 styles of jeans on display and walks away buying nothing.
    I understand this failing well :-) I just now ordered a bed frame that my wife and I have been trying to order for a year. The problem is the vendor has too many options. I solved it by calling them up today, sending them a couple photos of the destination room, and saying "just make it so it looks nice in here, and gets here by Christmas, and please don't ask me to pick which *shade* of the color, just go for it!"

I think research has shown that if you are given more than 6 choices, you glaze over. There was a study I was just reading about where they watched people in a store examining different jams. If there were more than six (I believe) they didn't purchase any. Six or fewer, they were able to decide.

That's why I love small boutiques over department stores.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    That's why I love small boutiques over department stores.
    I got a call from my friend who has been raising a pig for us, asking for some cutting instructions/details:

Her: How much ground pork, and how much sausage?
    Me: 75/25%. What kind of sausages?
    Her: Pork.

Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I think research has shown that if you are given more than 6 choices, you glaze over. There was a study I was just reading about where they watched people in a store examining different jams. If there were more than six (I believe) they didn't purchase any. Six or fewer, they were able to decide.
    I read a book a while back that basically said that too many choices are bad for people. They showed examples of things where if there were a few options people would buy something but if there were 50 options people left without making a decision. If I recall correctly your jams example was one of the ones in this book. Tying this in to the costco thread, that's one of the things I like about costco. You either buy toilet paper or you don't. At most maybe there's two or three choices. You don't have to agonize over 50 different kinds of toilet paper. And frankly, at the end of the day, my butt doesn't notice the difference...

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I read a book a while back that basically said that too many choices are bad for people. They showed examples of things where if there were a few options people would buy something but if there were 50 options people left without making a decision. If I recall correctly your jams example was one of the ones in this book. Tying this in to the costco thread, that's one of the things I like about costco. You either buy toilet paper or you don't. At most maybe there's two or three choices. You don't have to agonize over 50 different kinds of toilet paper. And frankly, at the end of the day, my butt doesn't notice the difference...
    We must have read the same book. I think the book might have been "How we Decide" by Jonah Lehrer.

Thread Information