Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Making minimalism a deal breaker?

Here is a thought! Ultralite, you could have 100% effective, risk free birth control by practicing abstinence until you find a woman who actually doesn't want kids and has taken her own permanent steps!

because what you're saying is "I really really don't want kids. But sex is important enough to me that I'm willing to gamble when the odds are 85% in my favor" aaaand, you're gambling with someone else's life! (I'm referring to the potential child, not the woman)

UL" women are NOT privileged when it comes to BC options. Do you know how many side effects and complications come from them? My BF's 19 yo daughter died from a rare liver disease after being on the pill for a short amount of time. This pill is known to cause this and so now there is a class action lawsuit against the manufacturer but it won't bring anybody back that lost their lives so young. I am sick of men not being willing to take responsibility especially if they do not want kids. Ugh!

The variety is largely an illusion, they are mostly except for copper IUDs and sterilization all just hormones, in a thousand different delivery methods, but all depending on how well a woman handles hormonal birth control (it's like having 10 varieties of coke in the store or something, ok but it's all just sugar water). They do talk about male birth control pills now though. So how about that for a 3rd option for men (expect much whining from males on how it has side effects to take hormonal birth control - you don't say ...).

Besides until recently (until the ACA mandates on birth control coverage) many women's options were limited by being unable to afford anything but the cheapest birth control they could get (can't afford an IUD so take what you can get from planned parenthood etc.).
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    The variety is largely an illusion, they are mostly except for copper IUDs and sterilization all just hormones, in a thousand different delivery methods, but all depending on how well a woman handles hormonal birth control (it's like having 10 varieties of coke in the store or something, ok but it's all just sugar water).
    Absolutely. Hormones are hormones, and if screwing with your hormones is the best way to prevent pregnancy, then all the other non-hormonal methods are less effective. So take your chances. I didn't want to mess up my hormones, so I used one of the other methods, and hello, DS#1. IUDs can cause cramping and/or become dislocated.

Of course, if you're male, the grass is greener when the woman is the responsible one, and also the one who will pay the dearest for a mess-up.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Here is a thought! Ultralite, you could have 100% effective, risk free birth control by practicing abstinence until you find a woman who actually doesn't want kids and has taken her own permanent steps!
    There are of course plenty of ways to engage in adult activities that don't involve risk of pregnancy, even without going in the "50 Shades" direction. Abstinence isn't required.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    As part of my overall preparedness efforts, I wish to maintain my ability to repopulate the Earth after the asteroid hits, or whatnot.
    This is very funny. And probably true.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    This is very funny. And probably true.
    I was greatly influenced in my thinking by poor Burgess Meridith's fate in "Time Enough At Last":

I'm not sure I ever saw that episode, but I'm very happy my eyesight still allows me to read without glasses...

While I agree with the idea that hormonal birth control is a big deal each and every day in the life of someone who takes it, I will not in good conscience rag on someone like UL who does not want to offer up his parts to the medical world. I distrust them too much, and any simple procedure has risks.

i did not want children but did not expect DH to have a vasectomy, partly because he wasnt opposed to having children, partly because I cant in good conscience dictate to him medical procedures he should have. His body his choice, you know.

Since I didnt have a tubal L. why should he have something done?

Off and on over the years I thought "iris, you should have that thing done" but time slipped by and besides, I seldom visited a physician, and that would require a physician visit, and etc.

I am grateful to have the number of children I want:0

I'm not saying it doesn't have risks, I'm saying he is making the choice to accept a 15% risk of fatherhood. It is not his partner's job to lower that risk on his behalf. For herself, sure if she chooses, but not for him.

Thread Information