Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Making minimalism a deal breaker?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I understand Japan is working on some pretty realistic robots.
    Apparently there is considerable progress being made into putting interaction and artificial intelligence into the Real Doll platform, by a company called "Realbotix", and there are similar efforts underway for other platforms.

Siri and Alexa are about to have full date cards.

Related: I have a second-generation Aibo (ERS-210 model) that I could let go for cheap, but its main skill is chasing a small pink ball around the house.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Apparently there is considerable progress being made into putting interaction and artificial intelligence into the Real Doll platform, by a company called "Realbotix", and there are similar efforts underway for other platforms.

Siri and Alexa are about to have full date cards.

Related: I have a second-generation Aibo (ERS-210 model) that I could let go for cheap, but its main skill is chasing a small pink ball around the house.
    I like the Realbotix idea for UL but the Aibo is a fail. That is unless it can be made to fetch and sit pretty. Then it might qualify under executive function ...9/10. I'd waive the intellectual qualifier. Nobody like a mate who is smarter than them.

I'm a pretty stark minimalist too, and when I was 38, about a dozen years ago, my list of deal breakers was very similar to yours (minus "likes to travel").

Since then, I've whittled it down a lot because I finally realized what my deal breakers were. They were not declarations of my principles, values, and preferences. They were reflections of the things I feared the most. People with the same deal breakers tend to have the same fears, making it harder for them to learn from each other.

Minimalism in the extreme, perhaps paradoxically, is a fear of letting go, of giving up control. I still struggle with this, but at least I know the truth about why I value minimalism. It's no longer a relationship deal breaker for me, so I guess I'm making some progress. But I no longer view it as a great virtue either.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    ... Nobody like a mate who is smarter than them.
    Trying to figure out how that works...

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Rent wouldn't seem so expensive if you didn't have your debt.
    In a sense, yes. But my debt only costs me $245 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Or overseas--I imagine there are women who would put up with a constrained life for a green card.
    What you see as constrained others might -- just might! -- see as freedom. Freedom from oppressive worry about financial doomsdays, freedom from the samsara of materialism, freedom from the rat race, freedom to take an international vacation or two each year.

Isn't a big reason we live simply, practice frugality, and do minimalism to free ourselves up?

I know you loooooove all kinds of stuff. Stuff. Stuff. Stuff! But to me all the clutter would be constraining.

See how I turned that around on you?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    The right third world inhabitant WILL be frugal according to UL's criteria because that is how they were raised. And, I would expect them to cook very well, wonderful ethnic dishes.

But rhey are not going to bring home the bacan and go 50/50 on rent.
    I am okay with my partner making less money than me, so long as she works and goes to school. Eventually she might make as much money as me. Remember, I only make $47k.

Also: I would love to learn to cook with my partner, whether she is from the US or elsewhere. I think that can be fun!

UL...have you considered the blow up doll scenario? The only downside is that you'd have to get rid of one of the 200 items to make room for her but if you put a book in her hand, she would appear to be well read.
    Dude, I cannot tell you how f---ing hard I laughed at this! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I don't see how some of this follows. I think people can be selectively disciplined like very disciplined in their minimalism say and not disciplined very much in say their eating behaviors (wait isn't that you at times? I recall a thread about pancakes, of course perhaps the pancake weakness has been overcome) or any number of things that require discipline (like work, ambition, exercise etc.), and no it doesn't mean she never touches a glass of wine either (which doesn't matter to most people, but sometimes seems a deal breaker to you). I really don't see how likes traveling follows of course, isn't it way more frugal not to travel, and save the money one would have spent traveling while living up the staycation? Of course none of the above precludes wanting kids which probably really truly IS a dealbreaker.

Since I can think of little worse than rushing into a relationship for economic reasons, I think roommates are preferable if rent is a concern, or else just deal with high rent, and realize a certain amount of the paycheck is going to go to rent and oh well (as long as the paycheck can pay the rent why sweat it too much, or consider buying if it makes sense).
    I am not asking for minimalist perfection.

Not to beat a dead.....blow up doll....but one would clearly meet 7 out of the 10 requirements. Those being disciplined, not a shopper, not materialistic, not superficial, likes traveling (loves high occupancy vehicle lanes), is frugal. Can clean is also clearly not an issue because she doesn't make any messes so .....that take s care of 8/10. By deduction then I take it you are looking for a blow up doll that has cognitive skills and uses them. You see how simple it really is?
    8/10 is totally reasonable.

Thread Information