Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is childhood truly terrifying or just a culture of fear?

A lot of how we parent is based on a response or reaction to how we were raised, my mom worked all the time from when she could babysit and on. So she literally told me to quit jobs or not work. My first year of college was miserable, as an introvert it was easier to meet people at a job no matter how small. However she was truly incapable of having a feeling based conversation with me. That was vital to me as i am wired like that, but certainly not unusual for the era.

Williamsmith
    I look at my granddaughter (7) and am wondering how she will navigate the complexities her environment puts before her. What from my generation is she going to be without? I can't help but always be in favor of simplicity, and I don't feel society is at all generous toward simple people. I am appreciative of the advances technologically but to me it came at the cost of some innocence and trust. The things that have made process so easy have also made corruption easier. A child of my era would reasonably be exposed to very little evil without supervision, Today, the world is your neighborhood and the increase in exposure is exponential.

My granddaughter relocates about six hours away from me on Sunday. Most importantly, from her daddy. She will leave behind, two sets of grand parents, uncles and aunts, cousins and a father who loves her. It will be a strange place, new school and long road trips to get back to visit. I would think at that age...it would be nearly terrifying to lose your stability.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I think it's more than kids -- as a culture we have become risk-averse.

I don't tie it to just the way we raise kids. But it certainly has had interesting results.
    I think that's true, especially with kids. By the time I started college, I had had direct experience of getting punched in the face every so often, keeping my grades up in a parochial school system that wasn't especially interested in my feelings or excuses, been beaten (and very rarely triumphant) in various forms of competition, and had it made pretty clear to me that I could have what I could earn, and that included the sort of wealth you carry around in your skull. My only experiences of helicopter parenting was the occasional strafing run when I screwed up.

But as a result, the only sense of entitlement I had was for the opportunity to take my shot along with everyone else. Difficulties weren't a traumatic shock, damaging my mental health. There may be a mental health benefit to experiential scar tissue. I certainly didn't panic if somebody thought my opinion on any given topic was stupid.

Williamsmith
    This is helicopter parenting.....my wife works two jobs....one is at a preschool daycare environment for toddlers and wobblers. The other a teachers aid for emotional support students. The kids are a challenge but the parents are nuts. One parent brought her wobbler into daycare during snack. Each child was handed half a soda cracker among other things. The mother demanded her child get a full cracker. And the most demanding are the ones that are always late in payments.

the world really isn't a very nice place.
    Maybe that all goes back to how we parent. Churning out humans who do not know how to love or respect themselves or others.

Oh dear. I don't think that everything is 'pollyanna' fine but I do have the skills to cope, create change for the better, resilience to overcome the trials in life, intelligence to aid others, confidence to give and share. I see beauty, kindness, tenderness, wisdom, order, thoughtfulness, courage, everywhere I go each day.

Some complain about today's teenagers but I see amazing courtesy, smiles and helpfulness.

Others grumble about poor service. I am almost always delighted when I walk into a store that so many staff who are earning limited wages are as knowledgeable about the store contents as they are.

With all the vehicles that are on the road, we have order that I rely upon. There are driver-'twits' but they are noteworthy...

We have healthy food, water, banking, shelter... That is enough goodness just to start the list of what makes me grateful.

It is around the world as well. I have experienced the truly 'yucky' but it is my mental choice if the 'yucky' defines my view of life and what I tell my children or discussing those same challenges and the blessings that help/ed me cope and how to acknowledge their presence in their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I think the "lost confidence in the goodness of our world" is simply Americans excepting reality. After World War II Europe went through that stage and they still think of us as Pollyanna "everything is just fine" types. It's not reality.

I was raised in that world where everything was just fine. It was quite an adjustment for me the last 10 years to accept the fact that the world really isn't a very nice place.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Every time I go overseas it is brought home how incredibly we have it here in the U.S. (And Canada, too.)

I tend to do two things with that: be grateful, get annoyed at those who are not grateful. This latter reaction doesnt improve my life, so maybe I had better work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Maybe that all goes back to how we parent. Churning out humans who do not know how to love or respect themselves or others.
    I think there's a bumper sticker that says "People are despicable. I blame the parents".

I think the real trick may be turning out people who love themselves for the right reasons. if anyone has a reliable method to do that, I'd be interested.

people who love themselves for the right reasons.
    I think part of that is teaching your children empathy from the very beginning.

Like IL I am always grateful for what I have when I travel to other countries. So much poverty and suffering. Especially when I have been to the Caribbean. I had more freedom growing up then my kids had but times were safer. Also my parents always knew where I was and paid attention. I was not spoiled but I was loved and valued. I hope my kids feel the same way.

Thread Information