Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concentrated smell from marijuana growing greenhouse?

Concentrated smell from marijuana growing greenhouse?

Some states have legalized marijuana growing. Was there an issue of odour from the greenhouses?

Canada has started the process. Medical use marijuana has strict controls. Personal use - no controls. Locally many are noticing that tomato, cuke,and pepper greenhouses are converting to growing marijuana for personal use but not adding the air filtration to control the very concentrated powerful odour. It's causing anguish and discomfort. Any ideas of phrasing for bylaws or how such issues are managed at the municipal or state level?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

We have legalized it in Washington State, and there is an issue with odor.

Local jurisdictions have pretty wide powers to regulate land use here, and my county tried to impose a moratorium on greenhouse permitting for this purpose until we'd had a chance to craft proper regulations. That attempt failed for lack of votes on the council, and so it's still pretty wild-and-wooly. Conditional use permits are required in some land use areas, and conditions have been placed on specific operations to require filtering, as-needed, but we don't have broadly-usable sample code at the moment.

Wow, it is a huge issue here. Little children are waking up choking and trying at night, those with breathing issues are struggling and the airtight houses with air exchangers really suffer as well.
    Has any testing been done on the air quality of the MJ grower exhaust air that you can point me to, Bae? Health impact? Any ideas or suggestions really welcome!

FWIW, the rules from the federal gov't for growing medical MJ are quite stringent and well thought out so the current thinking is to request bylaw/s aligning with those regarding air filtration alone for personal use production. The issue is the assignment of personal growing rights to greenhouses. Privacy laws prevent anyone from finding out if the assignments match the actual quantity grown. The odour is the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    We have legalized it in Washington State, an d there is an issue with odor.

Local jurisdictions have pretty wide powers to regulate land use here, and my county tried to impose a moratorium on greenhouse permitting for this purpose until we'd had a chance to craft proper regulations. That attempt failed for lack of votes on the council, and so it's still pretty wild-and-wooly. Conditional use permits are required in some land use areas, and conditions have been placed on specific operations to require filtering, as-needed, but we don't have broadly-usable sample code at the moment.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

We have our first hearings on the new proposals after the first of the year, I’ll put up links to the material once I get them. It should make for an...interesting...discussion around here.

Most of our grow operations I know of are in industrial or rural areas where any odor is probably not an issue. I don't know if this is because of zoning or just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Most of our grow operations I know of are in industrial or rural areas where any odor is probably not an issue. I don't know if this is because of zoning or just the way it is.
    I say this gently, Roger, but people live move and breathe in the rural areas every bit as much as urban.

They depend and rely on one another and many homes are close together established years ago. When operations are suddenly changed, lives are changed, property values plunge, options for alternatives severely reduced and so much harder to overcome because of the limited numbers and urban thinking is that there is a lot of space so it shouldn't be a problem anyway. Friends are facing this both in the rural and in the urban settings. It is not 'the others' problem but a 'community' problem.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I say this gently, Roger, but people live move and breathe in the rural areas every bit as much as urban.
    I understand. The intention was that the odor would dissipate before it affected residences due to the distance of separation. Our local paper publishes a lot of marijuana related issues and even has a cannabis editor with a section devoted to them. It's not big on my radar to track everything, but I've not seen many complaints about odor from grow operations nor have I heard of any health issues, and I've not heard any complaints from personal accounts. I'm hardly the expert. The retail sales outlets might be a different issue. Those are in more dense residential areas and I've noticed an odor drifts out of the buildings and might be noticeable one or a couple of houses away.

It could be worse.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...stry-pig-farms

The problem of odor never occurred to me. Interesting.

I can’t imagine that marijuana odor would be any worse than the order from a hog farm or a dairy farm or a number of other historically legitimate farming activities. I grew up around these smells… “the smell of money” is what we called it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I can’t imagine that marijuana odor would be any worse than the order from a hog farm or a dairy farm or a number of other historically legitimate farming activities. I grew up around these smells… “the smell of money” is what we called it.
    Yes, that's what we called the smell of woodpulp in Georgia.
    On the other hand, we both suffer from asthma, so I would be worried about those children waking up coughing.
    That cannot be good at all. I would be very concerned about these operations if they were having this effect on children--that is terrible.

Thread Information