Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concentrated smell from marijuana growing greenhouse?

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    The problem of odor never occurred to me. Interesting.
    Agreed, never knew this was an issue.

I don't see a smoke issue, but I do smell it! There are a few places, one industrial and another I can smell from the highway. They are in areas that already have a smell, the dog food factory and the industrial odors. As far as I know we have limits on where grow houses and dispensaries are located, and I haven't heard of issues in Denver. I have a friend who runs the business side of an edibles business and she hasn't reported issues.

It is waking people up and little toddlers are choking and crying in the middle of night, migraines, stress levels going crazy. The air is exhausted at non-consistent times but when it is, it is potent. There is seemingly no filtration done at all. Because it has no monitoring or regulations to comply with, no one knows what is used in spraying the crops either.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Has anyone complained to the local health department or environmental agencies, or are there community meetings where it can be reviewed?

Down here in Colorado Springs, we smell it frequently. I have grown to hate the smell.

Because there are no regulations/laws/bylaws/policies governing growing for personal use, those affected have to prove and document that it is a genuine problem. I have advised one party that they should work so that the issue is seen as strictly a health issue which then falls under the health and environment departments monitoring. We will see what happens. More and more greenhouses are converting or springing up as the perception is that there is $$$$$$ money to be made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Has anyone complained to the local health department or environmental agencies, or are there community meetings where it can be reviewed?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I don't know if you have limits on the number of plants a person can grow for personal use. Here people can only have a few plants. There have been many arrests for people grossly exceeding the limit in a basement or garage to sell on the black market to avoid government taxes and regulations or to export to a state where it is illegal. I've read of several busts that were discovered by reports from neighbor of the odor coming from the home. I think they have also used utility consumption to pinpoint illegal grows. The expression "hiding in plain sight" has been used. If Jeff Sessions were looking for ammunition to enforce federal drug regulations, this is probably among his justification arsenal. Perhaps something to look into.

I have no idea of any air contamination regulations for commercial operations here. Maybe they have filters or maybe not but they definitely produce an odor. There is a list of approved pesticides and chemicals that can be used and I can only assume that there would be a similar requirement anywhere to have some degree of human health protection and that industrial emissions of any sort would be regulated. If it is just a foul odor it could be a difficult issue.

Where I live, it is virtually invisible other than the retail outlets. There are trendy downtown areas where people have complained about open use along the odor and other issues. Police seem to be cracking down on some of these areas, but I don't think they will ever be able to control it completely.

Anyway, a few problems and solutions that I've seen here. I have older friends who use pot responsibly either for recreation or perceived medical benefits. I am glad they have that freedom There is also a lot of misuse, just like alcohol, but there is a new subset of people trying to function at work or among family with impaired judgement. It's a new frontier. Maybe it will improve and work out or maybe not.

Roger, in Canada, one can grow 4 plants with no restrictions at all on growing conditions. However, you can legally assign that legal personal use freedom to a greenhouse to grow it for you.

Theoretically, greenhouses should be having a list of assigners asking the greenhouse to do their growing for them. Under privacy legislation, no one can require those greenhouses to produce a list of assigners - there may be only one or hundreds - therefore, the number of plants grown cannot be controlled or monitored by any agency of any kind. It is a legal loophole that is being exploited.

The federal government legislation by omission of any restrictions on personal use growing enabled this loophole and municipalities are now being asked to deal with it and they are struggling/floundering as they have no idea what to do. Residents are suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    It is waking people up and little toddlers are choking and crying in the middle of night, migraines, stress levels going crazy. The air is exhausted at non-consistent times but when it is, it is potent. There is seemingly no filtration done at all. Because it has no monitoring or regulations to comply with, no one knows what is used in spraying the crops either.
    That is terrible, and you are so right to be concerned and try to take some action! Is there a Canadian equivalent of the CDC you could contact? Health and safety?

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Roger, in Canada, one can grow 4 plants with no restrictions at all on growing conditions. However, you can legally assign that legal personal use freedom to a greenhouse to grow it for you.

Theoretically, greenhouses should be having a list of assigners asking the greenhouse to do their growing for them. Under privacy legislation, no one can require those greenhouses to produce a list of assigners - there may be only one or hundreds - therefore, the number of plants grown cannot be controlled or monitored by any agency of any kind. It is a legal loophole that is being exploited.

The federal government legislation by omission of any restrictions on personal use growing enabled this loophole and municipalities are now being asked to deal with it and they are struggling/floundering as they have no idea what to do. Residents are suffering.
    I had to look a few things up. Not long ago we had something similar for personal use. They were called growing co-ops or cooperatives. Early this year this was made illegal. It presented problems in distinguishing co-ops from black market operations. I can see where it was a problem.

Thread Information