Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Made Yogurt

I made my second batch, using the last of the first batch as a starter for 2 new jars. After sitting in the insulated cooler for about 15 hours, I got more yogurt. In one jar it is a frothy consistency (and it passes the taste test!) In the other jar it also is frothy... whey sank to the bottom of the jar, and I drained it out.

Do any of you good people know a good use for lukewarm whey? I was thinking of making butter scones with it. ("Scones", as in Wisconsin!) Go Badgers, beat Huskers!

By the way, my second batch of Pizzelle flatbread was outstanding. I used sprouted Kamut grain instead of hulled barley sprouts.

LOL, I might need a grammar class. In the second sentence above, I made a boo-boo, and I hope no one took me too literally. It was not I sitting in the insulated cooler! It was the blended milk and yogurt starter.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    I made my second batch, using the last of the first batch as a starter for 2 new jars. After sitting in the insulated cooler for about 15 hours, I got more yogurt. In one jar it is a frothy consistency (and it passes the taste test!) In the other jar it also is frothy... whey sank to the bottom of the jar, and I drained it out.

Do any of you good people know a good use for lukewarm whey? I was thinking of making butter scones with it. ("Scones", as in Wisconsin!) Go Badgers, beat Huskers!

By the way, my second batch of Pizzelle flatbread was outstanding. I used sprouted Kamut grain instead of hulled barley sprouts.

LOL, I might need a grammar class. In the second sentence above, I made a boo-boo, and I hope no one took me too literally. It was not I sitting in the insulated cooler! It was the blended milk and yogurt starter.
    Use whey instead of or in addition to salt in lacto-fermentation of vegetables.

Overnight I made batch #3. I restarted the culture with a couple teaspoons of store-bought yogurt that was in the fridge.

The result looks good in the clear glass jars. It is chilling in the fridge with the lids on loosely. There is a thick white tasty-looking yogurt filling the jars, with a beige liquid about three-quarters of an inch deep on top. After the yogurt has chilled, I will use a baster to suction most of the liquid off the top.

Thread Information