Thread: Buying online meds for pets?

Buying online meds for pets?

After checking out a certain online Pet pharmacy, I called my dog's vet to get a prescription for it, the office lady said they don't deal with online companies. This company is Vet_VIPPS and the med is produced in Switzerland by Elanco (a U.S. company) and is FDA approved. Although I guess lots can happen to a med along the way to be produced and still be "FDA Approved". I've heard lots of reasons that the vets don't like online meds, but dang, they are so expensive in the office. There would be like a $30.00 difference from the one I buy from the vet. All the meds I've bought at the vet's are soooooo expensive.

Do any of you buy online pet meds and what has your experience been?

I don;t but I know Sams Club also does pet prescriptions; would your vet write the prescription and let you take it there?

I use Drsfostersmith.com also have gotten from Walmart when out of town and script had to be faxed to them.

My last neighbor got her heart worm preventative from Australia it was really inexpensive. I was just so unsure of it however.

Veterinary medicine's apparently chasing the profit train now. Just like getting human prescriptions from Canada is considered "too risky." now ordering pet meds is
    "dangerous." Dangerous to the bottom line, I bet. I wouldn't hesitate to order medication from a reputable source if there were an appreciable cost difference.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Veterinary medicine's apparently chasing the profit train now. Just like getting human prescriptions from Canada is considered "too risky." now ordering pet meds is
    "dangerous." Dangerous to the bottom line, I bet. I wouldn't hesitate to order medication from a reputable source if there were an appreciable cost difference.
    Yeah, I was wondering if that was going on. Seems like it would be okay, if it was a reputable site....especially if it had that Vet-VIPPS rating. The first sample med I got from the vet was by a reputable pharmaceutical company, made in Canada. The one from the online store is by another reputable U.S. pharmacy and made in Switzerland. I just don't know who to believe, in terms of "supposed danger" in buying anything online.

I order out of Canada. It's slow.

I use petmeds and it is fast. If your vet won't send an RX online ask for a paper one and you can mail it in yourself.

Thread Information