Thread: About to take off for my first meeting as supervisor....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

About to take off for my first meeting as supervisor....

Here's something interesting.....I am about to take off for my first meeting as a Supervisor with both the banquet temp office management people and the Convention center management people present. I am going to be expected to participate - not just sit there and move my head around to who is speaking and say a few words every now and then to kiss ass and maintain cash flow. Should be interesting though I find the idea a bit nerve wracking to be honest - I can't just coast here. Coasting in meetings does not come with the raise I've been given and the benefits eligibility I now have. Pretty funky stuff......Rob

I hate meetings, and it's probably one of the main reasons I quit to be a freelancer. For the reasons you mentioned.. all the expectations that you'll throw in your two-cents and earn your right to be a card-carrying member of the "wish-I-were-anywhere-else-but-I'm-doing-my-bit-anyway" club. Just go with it, Rob. You'll be fine. You'll probably be great, because at least you bring some passion into the job.

Just don't contribute the way my restaurant server son did last month--with insubordination (with a bad result)--and you'll be fine. Hate to say it, but when you sign up for the job, you have to play by the rules.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Be friendly, introduce yourself and background if given the opportunity, state that you are excited to take this on and look for advice and input as you learn your role.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Good luck! If you want to talk about running meetings after this let me know. I run a lot of meetings and attend a lot, so I have some tips. I hope it goes well.

Williamsmith
    Rob, hope all went well. I never could kiss ass, thus I never was trusted with supervisory status. My main fault was complete honesty in the face of the obviously best option to fabricate false interest. It was suggested to me to change a few words here and there in a criminal investigation. When I declined I found I suddenly was doing poorly in the oral interview part of my promotional exams. What a coinkydink.

Oh Williams, sounds so familiar. I may be stuck where I am at as well, but they can't demote me since no one will work this hard at this job.

Teambuilders, you love them or hate them but some are good to help people work together better.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    It was suggested to me to change a few words here and there in a criminal investigation. When I declined I found I suddenly was doing poorly in the oral interview part of my promotional exams. What a coinkydink.
    At a previous company, I pointed out to Someone Senior "umm, that's insider trading, we're in a blackout period because of XXX". I was told to STFU. The SEC didn't agree with the STFU advice. So that was the end of my advancement prospects at that company. Served me right for protecting shareholder value and following the law.

YOu will do great Rob)

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Thanks everyone! The meeting actually was not all that bad. I did have a chance to introduce myself and say that I'm excited to be part of the leadership team this coming season, and I did have a chance to input a few which I considered intelligent comments. It was a long meeting and my take is that time could have been saved by emailing all that was covered in the meeting but whatever......it went well and I'm at no level to institute changes like doing away with meetings and emailing new policies/changes to all concerned instead. Rob

Thread Information