Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering a trip to Southeast Asia...

Considering a trip to Southeast Asia...

I am considering taking a trip to Southeast Asia later on this autumn, probably Vietnam and Thailand.
    Any thoughts or suggestions?

I mostly like beaches and food, but I am also open to historical sites or nature activities.

As a daily meditation practitioner I'd probably stop into some temples for a sit too.

I went to Thailand in 1998 and it was so beautiful. Some of the downsides were that the water and air were polluted. I loved seeing all the temples, Buddha's palaces, etc. WE went in Nov which is one of their coolest months and it was still in the 90's with high humidity. I have never been to Vietnam.

Oh yes! Yes yes yes!

Ive been to Bangkok. I want to go back to Thailand and this time also Vietnam, but I would like a trip that avoids big giant cities. I want to see regional cities and villages which give a perfectly good flavor of the culture without the high expense of major cities.

currently that trip is pretty high on my list, which is

SE Asia

India and Nepal, so maybe divide north
    India and Nepal and another trip to be Southern

Baltic countries

Morocco

Croatia and that region

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Oh yes! Yes yes yes!

Ive been to Bangkok. I want to go back to Thailand and this time also Vietnam, but I would like a trip that avoids big giant cities. I want to see regional cities and villages which give a perfectly good flavor of the culture without the high expense of major cities.

currently that trip is pretty high on my list, which is

SE Asia

India and Nepal, so maybe divide north
    India and Nepal and another trip to be Southern

Baltic countries

Morocco

Croatia and that region
    I am with you on this list!

I heard Bangkok is a foodie's dream!

I want to go to Ireland, Prague, Poland (again), Hawaii and then some other European countries. WE just got back from a cruise to New England area and parts of Canada. So beautiful this time of year and perfect weather. I think we will do Hawaii next. Unfortunately, I can no longer tolerate really hot, humid weather so those countries are out for me. I get overheated fast and get sick. WE have been taking 2 vacations/year in the past 2 years and want to continue to do this. So many great places to see.

My Super Power seems to be doing OK in hot humid weather. I can work outside in 95 degree F weather, and it really doesnt bother me. Sure I sweat but that is fine, sweating is mother nature's cooling system.

I have thought about the heat in SE Asia and am not excitied about it, but I see it as a necessary evil to experience the place. I cant quite picture how
    I pack for two weeks in a place where clothing will be soaked with sweat every day.

In Bucharesti, at our high end hotel, I washed clothes and put them out on the balcony to dry but at least I kept them low so they couldn't be viewed from the street. I didnt think te management would want to see Ma and Pa Kettle's wash hanging out.

Iris, we went to Thailand with www.thaifoodandtravel.com. In fact, we liked the first trip so well, we went on another one with her. 100% inclusive except for alcohol and laundry.

Williamsmith
    Last night I watched Dan Rather interview Gregg Allman on "Big Interview". He was number one in the draft lottery for the Army so he shot himself in the foot with a .38 Special so he didn't have to go to Vietnam. Wierd how now everybody wants to pay to go there and all those other guys went for free...and some got to stay forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Last night I watched Dan Rather interview Gregg Allman on "Big Interview". He was number one in the draft lottery for the Army so he shot himself in the foot with a .38 Special so he didn't have to go to Vietnam. Wierd how now everybody wants to pay to go there and all those other guys went for free...and some got to stay forever.
    I would have just gone to Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Iris, we went to Thailand with www.thaifoodandtravel.com. In fact, we liked the first trip so well, we went on another one with her. 100% inclusive except for alcohol and laundry.
    a trip I would love to take.
    I remember you talking about that trip.

ps just looked at the price
    for Trip B about $2900 pr person for 17 days. Yikes, that is reasonable, and it focuses on food! Yum!

I do love Thai food.

What is the mode of teansportation, how many people in a group?

Thread Information