Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering a trip to Southeast Asia...

Williamsmith
    UL, the thought crossed my mind and then Richard Nixon decided to fight the anti war movement by ending the draft. If that war would have continued.....I believe my dad would have been okay with it because my cousin got to visit forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Wierd how now everybody wants to pay to go there and all those other guys went for free...and some got to stay forever.
    I think the Terms & Conditions of the trip changed...

I love Japan and hope to go back there again some day before I no longer can (Trip #3). Not sure that fits into "SE Asia" but... Hong Kong would be enjoyable to visit (and also a foodie's paradise). My luggage got there once. I didn't. I have a niece-in-law who's been to Thailand twice; one of the draws is that you can go top-line on accommodations for relatively little money.

Actually, I'd probably be fine visiting anyplace in SE Asia. Even North Korea would be fascinating except that I'd be "minded" more closely than I'd like. I definitely would not want to rush such a trip, though. Probably 3-5 days per country, depending on their size.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I think the Terms & Conditions of the trip changed...

I love Japan and hope to go back there again some day before I no longer can (Trip #3). Not sure that fits into "SE Asia" but... Hong Kong would be enjoyable to visit (and also a foodie's paradise). My luggage got there once. I didn't. I have a niece-in-law who's been to Thailand twice; one of the draws is that you can go top-line on accommodations for relatively little money.

Actually, I'd probably be fine visiting anyplace in SE Asia. Even North Korea would be fascinating except that I'd be "minded" more closely than I'd like. I definitely would not want to rush such a trip, though. Probably 3-5 days per country, depending on their size.
    Hong Kong was the least enjoyable big city I have visited. It was just too modern, too big, too--not interesting.

Iris, she owns her own Lexus type vans, has her own long time driver, and no more than 12 in a group. The two times we went there were 4 of us plus her and her driver. It would have been even better with more members. All meals, except for some breakfasts, are family style, and she tries to never duplicate a dish. All the restaurants are vetted and they all know her. She has done this for over 20 years. She is retiring soon so don't wait. She only does 3 trips a year. We stayed in very nice Thai properties of all kinds.

In the end, it felt like a big family traveling together and not a group of tourists. Her trips are in the best weather time in Thailand. Even in Dec. southern Thailand is hot and so is the food.

Funny story: in Egypt we did underwear laundry one night and put it out on the balcony to dry. Wind came up and we had to go run around and collect it downstairs in the morning. In Thailand, we took our laundry to the lady at the end of the driveway. When we were coming back, it was all carefully laid out on the lawn drying.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Iris, we went to Thailand with www.thaifoodandtravel.com. In fact, we liked the first trip so well, we went on another one with her. 100% inclusive except for alcohol and laundry.
    I will send you PM about this, but in case you dont see it my question is this: did you get tired of the place On an 18 day trip? That is pretty long. I am not sure I would enjoy being ferried around for longer than ten days. But the price is fabulous!
    Last edited by iris lilies; 12-11-17 at 10:25pm.

If I were planning a trip to Thailand, I would want to spend some time in the city of Ayutthaya, a few km east of the ruins of the ancient capital.

Iris, we were too busy to get tired of Thailand. So much to see and experience. On the second trip, I did get tired of weaving villages. It was a much less touristy area and most people were just living their lives. We both loved Chiang Mai on the first trip and would have been happy to stay there for a week or two. Bangkok was a heaving mass of traffic and people. Would have liked to ride the overhead train around town.

For Thailand, don't forget to stop by Krabi and head to Koh Phi Phi. Other islands that I love are Koh Samui and Koh Lanta
    For Vietnam, don't waste your time in Saigon, go to Da Nang and Hoi An for nice beaches and good food
    “Salt in the air, sand in my hair.”

Thread Information