Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: facial moisturizers for 68 year old with rosecea

facial moisturizers for 68 year old with rosecea

This may be too specific, but my skin feels itchy and raw most of the time these days. Yesterday I went to the drug store and walked out with nothing as I was overwhelmed with choices. I use prescription metrolotion on my face for rosacea. I understand I can put lotion on my face after the metrolotion dries. My question is, why do all the products have sunscreen? I also use olive oil . Any suggestions.

If you want to go a natural route, I would recommend trying a calendula lotion (I've seen these at health food stores and Whole Foods). I make my own with calendula I grow. Its wonderfully healing. I had a bad accident a couple of weeks ago where I had a significant gash in my thumb. I've been using my salve and the healing is quicker than I would have expected.

Try azelaic acid. There are Rx brands Finacea (for rosacea) and Azelex. But if you google, you may find some OTC products with azelaic acid in them, without a prescription or a sunscreen.

Here's a comment from a blogger on it:

"I initially looked into azelaic acid as a treatment for the unpleasant flakiness I was developing around my nose and mouth. Turns out it can also be helpful in smoothing skin--and so much more.

"Azelaic acid is most frequently prescribed for rosacea sufferers, because it’s crazy-effective at decreasing the inflammation that causes rosacea’s trademark redness. The ingredient is also antibacterial, making it helpful for decreasing acne."

I did market research on rosacea for many years. It's very difficult to treat, and I do think that there are probably systemic reasons for the inflammation, such as dietery factors, but I never got into that. But while the metro lotion (and metro gel) helps the pimply kind of rosacea, Finacea/azelaic acid really does a better job at the redness/scaliness. And it does have some overall advantages in terms of skin tone as well.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I've read several places that food sensitivities play into rosacea--wheat particularly.

I like Clinique moisturizer best and it does not bother me, and many many face creams do.

I've read several places that food sensitivities play into rosacea--wheat particularly.
    dairy. dairy is the worst.
    Trees don't grow on money

Burt's Bees Night Cream. Organic and fabulous!

Thanks all.

Garnier SkinActive Moisture Rescue. It's a gel-cream I love. It's $6-7, depending on where you get it. I used to use the gel version of Clinique's yellow moisturizer. This stuff is very similar and much less expensive.

Does everyone really need moisterizer?

i use none on my face and use it elsewhere only when it is dry, usually only in winter months.

Thread Information