Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could you live happily out of a rucksack?

Could you live happily out of a rucksack?

As I mentioned, I am planning another trip somewhere (likely Thailand and/or Vietnam). One thing I look forward to on trips is "OBL."

One Bag Living.

Suppose you had a house/apartment/tiny house/condo (a place to live). Could you thereafter be happy living out of a rucksack's worth of stuff in perpetuity?

When travelling or in the field, sure.

At home, no - essential tools and equipment wouldn't remotely fit. For example, the gear I need to process wood for heating.

Not a chance. We just came back from a 6-day, 5-night vacation, and we had 6+ pieces of luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Not a chance. We just came back from a 6-day, 5-night vacation, and we had 6+ pieces of luggage.
    What all did you need 6+ pieces of luggage for?

I once went to spend a weekend in New York and attend a formal event with dh - in the days when formal dresses had a lot of skirt. Believe it or not, I arrived with a largish purse and an 10"x18"x30" suitcase. Dh said "where is your dress?" And I said "in my suitcase." He then asked "where is everything else?" To which I replied "in my purse."

he sometimes refers to me as "bait and switch"

i can can still travel light. I just require a dragon cave to return to.

(there was also a fancy pair of shoes in the suitcase)

Guess I'll find out. With Frontier's ridiculous baggage charges, we are only going to take one backpack with both of our stuff in it needed for a week. Will have to do some laundry along the way for certain and stick with the shoes on our feet.

I took 4 pairs of pants to Europe and about 6 tops. I wore all of the tops, but only 2 pants.

I wont take a smaller suitcase next time because my suitcase is small enough, but I will leave out at least one pant. But as it was, I was happy woth what I packed--not excessive stuff, and not too little.DH OTOH!did not bring a jacket, and he failed to bring nice shirts. I shoild have assisted him in packing, but he is a grown ip boy and I figured he can take care of himself in that regard.

I check my suitcase i to baggage handling and take on the plane only a smallish cross body purse. It holds my IPAD mini, a skinny billfold, and other bitty stuff. I wore my passport arpund my meck along with credit cards and most cash.

I've spent 2-3 months in Europe this year, with a single small-sized carryon and a small rucksack (to hold ipad/phone/passport/water/windbreaker/first aid kit). I wanted to avoid baggage claim and luggage-storage issues as much as possible.

One essential item in the carryon was a special dry-sack that has a built-in washboard, so I could do my laundry in hotel rooms, as I only brought 3-4 days worth of clothing.

I got nailed on Scandinavian Airlines though - even my small-sized carryon was "luggage", and they wanted ~$75 for the luggage fee, which was about as much as the ticket itself. My daughter and I would have saved money by buying a third seat and strapping our two carryons onto it. Now I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    What all did you need 6+ pieces of luggage for?
    I should mention that we traveled by car to Maine, so there was no reason not to take anything we wanted. If we were flying somewhere, we would need to reconsider that strategy. We also find that in New England at this time of year, there is a pretty wide weather range. So we packed lightweight shirts and sweaters, and jeans and shorts, for example, and lightweight jackets/sweatshirts as well as slightly warmer jackets. I brought a few books and magazines and my laptop and my feather pillow. And wine. And my coffeepot - I don't go anywhere without my percolator.
    I never claimed to be a minimalist.

Brings back Carlin's stuff routine.
    I would tend to fall along the same lines as Bae, as it would depend on where I am going.

Thread Information