Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Now taking a knee a big polo all deal

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    This started before our current President was in office but the virtue signaling that goes along with it seems to suddenly be tied to him nonetheless.
    You say that as if he didn't have anything to do with causing what happened today. He must be thrilled at how successful his speech was at further tearing this country to shreds.

The NFL is a collection of private businesses. If the business owners are happy with their employees making political statements at work, that's fine. Presumably they are intelligent businessfolk, and have reasons for their decision one way or another. From the stream of statements from the various teams' CEOs, they seem OK with the current practice.

The President shouldn't be yelling at private businesses telling them how to run their show and making demands of them.

Especially when he hasn't delivered my tax reform yet.

Williamsmith
    Perhaps the players should protest the lack of diversity in NFL ownership and see what the reaction is?

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Perhaps the players should protest the lack of diversity in NFL ownership and see what the reaction is?
    You mean the fact that there are only a handful of female team owners?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    You say that as if he didn't have anything to do with causing what happened today. He must be thrilled at how successful his speech was at further tearing this country to shreds.
    This has been happening since last season and continues to gain momentum. He didn't help things but he certainly didn't cause it.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    This has been happening since last season and continues to gain momentum. He didn't help things but he certainly didn't cause it.
    He's been pushing white identity politics since his campaign started. And if you don't think his speech friday was what pushed things over the edge this weekend I've got a tackily decorated highrise in midtown I'll sell you.

He's been pushing white identity politics since his campaign started. And if you don't think his speech friday was what pushed things over the edge this weekend I've got a tackily decorated highrise in midtown I'll sell you.
    White identity politics, LOL
    The only identity politics progressives won't embrace and the only identity politics they see behind every thought and action. It would be funny if it weren't so divisive.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I guess my question is when IS it the right time/place for black people to protest. Apparently it's not appropriate for them to protest on the streets. And now it's not appropriate for them to quietly and peacefully protest during the national anthem. Perhaps someone can explain what the "right" way for them to protest is.
    The way I see this is when ANYONE kneels during the national anthem or disses the flag is WRONG and unpatriotic.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    The way I see this is when ANYONE kneels during the national anthem or disses the flag is WRONG and unpatriotic.
    I find no mention of a "national anthem" or a "flag" in the US Constitution.

When did we first start having an official "national anthem"? When did we start standing for it? Under what circumstances, and who advocated that action?

I loath virtue-signaling patriotism. I see it at every governmental meeting here, where mindless politicians begin each meeting with the Pledge of Allegiance while facing the flag. When you know that most of them haven't read the Constitution since middle school, if that.

Patriotism isn't found in standing for a song at an athletic event. Or pledging "allegiance". It's a bit more than that...

It seems to me to be an entirely legitimate, and inherently peaceful form of protest by some athletes who are in a singular position to take a quiet stand against injustice.

Trump and his coven of white nationalist alt.right bros should be as roundly ignored as is possible. Disgusting pissants.

Thread Information