Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Now taking a knee a big polo all deal

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar

Now taking a knee a big polo all deal

Anybody boycotting football? And now some baseball players are reportedly taking a knee.

Our country is fighting on numerous fronts. North Korea. Health Care. Tax Reform. Russian meddling. Racial unrest.

Suddenly it it has become a big deal with the Presidents tweets and campaign rally speech. Some of the rhetoric has sounded like telling those black "boys" to remember their place.

Personally i I think if you don't like it tune in after the national anthem. Good time to use the bathroom or make a sandwich. Go ahead and cheer for your favorite team and ignore what you disagree with. Making a big deal out of it is not going to move this country forward. Unless you try to listen to the players and why they feel this is appropriate.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I have no idea what polo deal means in the title. I guess I meant political. Autocorrect will be the death of me.

Funny how the amazing player who started this still doesn't have a job, but the NFL owners are now all jumping on board with supporting players who are taking a knee

Yppej
    Trump has made the mistake of taking on players who are indispensable to their teams, when he is not indispensable himself. He has magnified and strengthened the kneelers' position.

I don't watch football but am curious if any fans are kneeling.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post

Suddenly it it has become a big deal with the Presidents tweets and campaign rally speech. Some of the rhetoric has sounded like telling those black "boys" to remember their place.
    This started before our current President was in office but the virtue signaling that goes along with it seems to suddenly be tied to him nonetheless.

I'm a live and let live kinda guy but that doesn't mean I should respect every action someone else takes. I'm also a football fan and will continue to support my favorite team until such time as they pull the same thing the Steelers did today, remaining in the locker room until the National Anthem was completed. One Steeler, a former Army Ranger, did come out and place his hand over his heart. That took more courage than the rest of the team combined showed in staying inside.

As for me, this sums up my feelings:

Attached Images Attached Images
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Of course I am boycotting football, as I do every year and every decade of my life.

I find it absurd that given the number of substantial issues facing the nation, the President is wasting his, and our, time Tweeting about the NFL/NBA.

I guess my question is when IS it the right time/place for black people to protest. Apparently it's not appropriate for them to protest on the streets. And now it's not appropriate for them to quietly and peacefully protest during the national anthem. Perhaps someone can explain what the "right" way for them to protest is.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I guess my question is when IS it the right time/place for black people to protest. Apparently it's not appropriate for them to protest on the streets. And now it's not appropriate for them to quietly and peacefully protest during the national anthem. Perhaps someone can explain what the "right" way for them to protest is.

Williamsmith
    My Steelers shirts and jerseys are waiting in a stack on my bed for the burning ceremony. I will not watch them. When I was employed I would have been fired for making any expression political or social while working. They are working football players, making millions of dollars a year based on the freedoms other people have earned for them through great sacrifice and even the giving of lives which is represented by the singing of the national anthem. It's not too much to ask them to pick another time and venue to air their grievance. They are spoiled millionaires. I won't be attending any games, I will be asking my kids not to purchase any team merchandise and I will be wearing plain t-shirts and jerseys and not providing free advertising for ingrateful brats. I imagine Art Rooney is rolling over in his grave right now.

Thread Information