Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Now taking a knee a big polo all deal

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I'll be impressed when football players protest by not showing up on the field....period! Pretty sure they value their paychecks more than their values.
    That is a good point, and it is more of the same of doing what is easy to show respect/disrespect for their country.

My Dd went to school in the 9th grade. She came home the first day and informed me "they have us stand up and say the pledge every morning. I'm not sure how I feel about that." I told her she didn't have to say it or put her hand over her heart, but that she should stand as a sign of respect for her classmates just as she was taught to silently bow her head when others pray.

she came home the second day and said "potentially" will scan exactly the same as "under god" if I say that, I can mean it. So every day she pledged her allegiance to a nation that was potentially indivisible with liberty and justice for all.

It's hard to see how either Trump or the pampered princes of the NFL have the moral standing to either add to or detract from what the flag represents. Ill manners are best dealt with by ignoring them.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post

Look at the olympics, when the national anthem is played for the various gold medalists ... tears come their eyes. It is a symbol of patriotism.
    salute.jpg

I was trying to post the Wikipedia story on Tommie Smith, John Carlos and Peter Norman but I can't get the link to work.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...542980?lang=en

what the liar in chief tweeted in January.

And now now it has been revealed Jared Kushner used his private email account to conduct White House business, including with people like Bannon and Preibus. "Lock him up, Lock him up".

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    It's hard to see how either Trump or the pampered princes of the NFL have the moral standing to either add to or detract from what the flag represents. Ill manners are best dealt with by ignoring them.
    I so so agree with this. Show the flag or the anthem singer during the anthem. People who hear about stuff like this can vote with their channel changer or don't attend games or buy merchandise. Easy.

By by the way, anyone see the stands during the anthem? People are talking, playing with their phones, going for a hot dog. Hypocrites.

And no one batted an eye when Bush appointees used private email.

After a few years of indoctrination, I quit saying "under God" too. It never felt right to me; less and less so over the years. Now I would probably stand and say nothing.

I think she had trouble with everything after "nation"

The words to the original pledge were: "I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." They should have left well enough alone, but I don't much like the idea of the pledge regardless of the wording. I agree with what others have said about pledges and anthems having little to do with true patriotism.
    I am amazed at this tempest in a teapot over football players, of all people. I consider sports figures to be the most irrelevant creatures on the planet and cannot fathom why anyone cares what they do, but I'm clearly a minority opinion in the good old USA.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    The NFL is a collection of private businesses. If the business owners are happy with their employees making political statements at work, that's fine. Presumably they are intelligent businessfolk, and have reasons for their decision one way or another. From the stream of statements from the various teams' CEOs, they seem OK with the current practice.

The President shouldn't be yelling at private businesses telling them how to run their show and making demands of them.

Especially when he hasn't delivered my tax reform yet.
    i'm still waiting for healthcare that covers more people, is more comprehensive and Is cheaper. He promised both Healthcare and tax reform on sixty minutes. Plus defeating isis, and banning muslims.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucele.../#391afab12173

Thread Information