Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Now taking a knee a big polo all deal

What I find interesting is people with MAGA hats (the wearing of which is publicly saying there's something wrong with America) are saying how wrong it is for these athletes publicly saying there is something wrong with America.

Last week, anyway. Now I expect just as many are protesting because of Trump calling their mothers a rude name.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Has our Blabbermouth in Chief bothered to express any concern for Puerto Rico or any of the other islands ravaged by Maria? Or is still too busy berating black athletes?
    I'm still wondering if he'll even acknowledge the horrible earthquake in Mexico City. He'll probably bitch about what implications this will have on them paying for the wall. What an absolute jerk.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    Actually he tweeted how great it was that NASCAR will slam anyone who does partake in the protest.
    Not exactly but certainly not worth worrying about. There is no official policy but some owners did speak out. There is a totally different culture in NASCAR. Perhaps if they were 70% black men like the NFL they would think differently about things because they would have had a totally different life experience.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Not exactly but certainly not worth worrying about. There is no official policy but some owners did speak out. There is a totally different culture in NASCAR. Perhaps if they were 70% black men like the NFL they would think differently about things because they would have had a totally different life experience.
    Dale Earnhardt begs to disagree with his bosses :
    Earnhardt, who will retire from full-time racing at the end of the season, said in a Twitter message Monday morning that Americans are "granted rights" to conduct "peaceful protests" and quoted President Kennedy's speech from March 1962.

All Americans R granted rights 2 peaceful protests
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable-JFK
    — Dale Earnhardt Jr. (@DaleJr) September 25, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Dale Earnhardt begs to disagree with his bosses :
    [I]Earnhardt, who will retire from full-time racing at the end of the season, said in a Twitter message Monday morning that Americans are "granted rights" to conduct "peaceful protests" and quoted President Kennedy's speech from March 1962.
    I think casting this as a free-speech/First Amendment issue is a mistake.

These take-the-knee protests are not occurring in some public place. They are occurring while the protesters are on-the-job, at their place of work. The First Amendment doesn't significantly apply - my employer can and does restrict my ability to engage in free speech/assembly/... at work.

That said, the owners of the businesses, the employers of these folks, don't seem to have real issue with the behaviour, and seem to be endorsing it, as is their right.

Just an observation - is it not all the public commentary about the NFL/NBA players' action simply an attempt by Trump to distract the attention away from problems affecting him directly? It is succeeding very well in the distracting effort, it seems, from the discussions here.
    I will butt totally out again.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Just an observation - is it not all the public commentary about the NFL/NBA players' action simply an attempt by Trump to distract the attention away from problems affecting him directly? It is succeeding very well in the distracting effort, it seems, from the discussions here.
    It seems he is the master of this sort of thing. He changes the channel of the discussion with a single Tweet, and the whole nation falls for it.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    It seems he is the master of this sort of thing. He changes the channel of the discussion with a single Tweet, and the whole nation falls for it.
    He is not master of anything. He is a dumb Orange Idiot.

oh wait, hmmm. What you said.

You know, the liberal left's buddies in the mainstream media could stop with the 24/7 bleeting of one Trump Story day in day out. These fools had a big hand in electing him.

What is it distracting from again? The Republicans failures to pass an ACA repeal that is even less popular than the ACA, for like the 20th time or something? Well it's not like that wouldn't get really boring on it's own otherwise or anything ... Yes it is *important* but ...

Maybe it is some kind of cover for the Republican congress who would be even more unpopular otherwise, or maybe their bills that don't pass are themselves a distraction.

Yes the Trump administration does a lot of small harmful things that don't get a lot of press, but that is often the case with Presidents (not denying Trump is more harmful mind you, just saying not every issue ever gets coverage).
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I did, some time ago. My technical rescue team is on-deck for deployment on short-notice. Self-deployment is frowned upon in these sorts of situations.
    the group that organized the fly in of supplies to both Harvey and Irma was able to get there faster due to not waiting for the normal Relief efforts. I was informed that they were setting up flights to Puerto Rico , but a 1000 miles over water during hurricane season is a little to much for me.

Thread Information