Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Now taking a knee a big polo all deal

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    It seems he is the master of this sort of thing. He changes the channel of the discussion with a single Tweet, and the whole nation falls for it.
    exactly. I think these issues are going to end up in lawsuits, akin to the religious accommodation lawsuits. but for now no one is talking about the hurricane relief, tax reform, health care, Jarod Kushners emails or Russia. Or barely North Korea. The health care vote may happen this week while people are burning their Steelers jerseys or are otherwise distracted.

He's apparently dragging his feet on getting aid to Puerto Rico in an attempt to coerce them into privatizing their power grid.
    I'm perfectly capable of reacting to more than one outrage at a time, but it gets exhausting after a while.

Looks like Trump sent out some real zingers about Puerto Rico on Twitter this evening.

Looks like Trump sent out some real zingers about Puerto Rico on Twitter this evening.
    just read about the Jones act, which has not been waived for Puerto Rico. But they are more brown skinned as a whole...

so let's see who he has alienated. NFL and various other athletes, various people of Hispanic descent. LGBT community. Many Women. Many African Americans. Lots of people who are not rich white men. Imagine that.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    just read about the Jones act, which has not been waived for Puerto Rico. But they are more brown skinned as a whole...
    ¡Majadero! —dijo a esta sazón don Quijote—, a los caballeros andantes no les toca ni atañe averiguar si los afligidos, encadenados y opresos que encuentran por los caminos van de aquella manera, o están en aquella angustia, por sus culpas o por sus gracias; sólo le toca ayudarles como a menesterosos, poniendo los ojos en sus penas y no en sus bellaquerías.

Maybe the Steelers stumbled on the right solution. Let the veterans on the field for the anthem to honor their service, letting them assume any pose they like. The rest can wait in the tunnel.

Williamsmith
    The Steelers have pissed off most their fan base. They expect all of them to be standing for the anthem. Before and after the anthem any player can stand on their head and spit nickels for all the fans care. Ive been cooling off on the NFL for a couple years. Last Sunday's fiasco resulted in me putting them in the ice tray. I don't need a sports team to fulfill my life. I do follow the Cleaveland Indians closely out of a personal connection with the team. And I like the Pittsburgh Penguins. I tune in to forget about politics and such....not be reminded.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    The Steelers have pissed off most their fan base. They expect all of them to be standing for the anthem. Before and after the anthem any player can stand on their head and spit nickels for all the fans care. Ive been cooling off on the NFL for a couple years. Last Sunday's fiasco resulted in me putting them in the ice tray. I don't need a sports team to fulfill my life. I do follow the Cleaveland Indians closely out of a personal connection with the team. And I like the Pittsburgh Penguins. I tune in to forget about politics and such....not be reminded.

I just don't get what the big deal is. Just turn on the TV after the anthem. If announcers talk about it turn the volume down. Personally the media is fanning the flames too. Don't let anyone bully you into deciding how you spend your free time. If you don't like football or baseball or whatever sport don't turn it on at all. A little thing that bothered a few people has been turned into a major fiasco to serve the agenda of the tweeter. Distract from the failures of the Republican congress, senate and presidency to pass meaningful healthcare legislation, immigration reform, deal with the multiple disasters that have befallen the mainland and Puerto Rico, and tax reform. They promised for going on eight years now that we would all have better healthcare that was cheaper and was "constitutional." Whether or not someone stands during an anthem has no bearing on you if you choose not to be drawn into the drama and politics.

and by the way, if people give up their season tickets there will be a stampede to get in line at the stadiums to buy them.

¡Majadero! —dijo a esta sazón don Quijote—, a los caballeros andantes no les toca ni atañe averiguar si los afligidos, encadenados y opresos que encuentran por los caminos van de aquella manera, o están en aquella angustia, por sus culpas o por sus gracias; sólo le toca ayudarles como a menesterosos, poniendo los ojos en sus penas y no en sus bellaquerías.
    Tried to translate this and I think it means something like let them eat cake.

Thread Information