Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Now taking a knee a big polo all deal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    This started before our current President was in office but the virtue signaling that goes along with it seems to suddenly be tied to him nonetheless.

I'm a live and let live kinda guy but that doesn't mean I should respect every action someone else takes. I'm also a football fan and will continue to support my favorite team until such time as they pull the same thing the Steelers did today, remaining in the locker room until the National Anthem was completed. One Steeler, a former Army Ranger, did come out and place his hand over his heart. That took more courage than the rest of the team combined showed in staying inside.

As for me, this sums up my feelings:

It's not OK to kneel in church? Rob

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    It's not OK to kneel in church? Rob
    This occurred to me also, having been raised in a very religious environment where to show proper respect to God you were expected to kneel during prayer unless you were disabled. Kneeling does not disrespect the flag, veterans, the pledge of allegience, or anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    This occurred to me also, having been raised in a very religious environment where to show proper respect to God you were expected to kneel during prayer unless you were disabled. Kneeling does not disrespect the flag, veterans, the pledge of allegience, or anything else.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Thank You, Yppej. I was in morning mass just this morning, as a friend of our family who left my mother a not insignificant amount of money passed five years ago today. This is not the only reason I was in Mass, please let me stress this, but I was so grateful I was able to switch with another shift supervisor who is young and wants to go out Friday night.....I get it as I was young once and am grateful to switch with this guy so he can he see his flight attendant boyfriend Friday night and I can pray for a peaceful place for this friend of my family who has made our financial lives saner and less stressful...........Rob

Of course I am boycotting football, as I do every year and every decade of my life.

I find it absurd that given the number of substantial issues facing the nation, the President is wasting his, and our, time Tweeting about the NFL/NBA.

I guess my question is when IS it the right time/place for black people to protest. Apparently it's not appropriate for them to protest on the streets. And now it's not appropriate for them to quietly and peacefully protest during the national anthem. Perhaps someone can explain what the "right" way for them to protest is.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I guess my question is when IS it the right time/place for black people to protest. Apparently it's not appropriate for them to protest on the streets. And now it's not appropriate for them to quietly and peacefully protest during the national anthem. Perhaps someone can explain what the "right" way for them to protest is.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    The way I see this is when ANYONE kneels during the national anthem or disses the flag is WRONG and unpatriotic.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    The way I see this is when ANYONE kneels during the national anthem or disses the flag is WRONG and unpatriotic.
    I find no mention of a "national anthem" or a "flag" in the US Constitution.

When did we first start having an official "national anthem"? When did we start standing for it? Under what circumstances, and who advocated that action?

I loath virtue-signaling patriotism. I see it at every governmental meeting here, where mindless politicians begin each meeting with the Pledge of Allegiance while facing the flag. When you know that most of them haven't read the Constitution since middle school, if that.

Patriotism isn't found in standing for a song at an athletic event. Or pledging "allegiance". It's a bit more than that...

Thread Information