Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Now taking a knee a big polo all deal

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I find no mention of a "national anthem" or a "flag" in the US Constitution.

When did we first start having an official "national anthem"? When did we start standing for it? Under what circumstances, and who advocated that action?

I loath virtue-signaling patriotism. I see it at every governmental meeting here, where mindless politicians begin each meeting with the Pledge of Allegiance while facing the flag. When you know that most of them haven't read the Constitution since middle school, if that.

Patriotism isn't found in standing for a song at an athletic event. Or pledging "allegiance". It's a bit more than that...
    "The last refuge of scoundrels" comes to mind. Watch what they do, not what they say. I don't have much truck with flags and loyalty oaths; I just go my own way being a good, responsible citizen. That's entirely enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    White identity politics, LOL
    The only identity politics progressives won't embrace and the only identity politics they see behind every thought and action. It would be funny if it weren't so divisive.
    Indeed. Trump's use of it to get elected hasnt been particularly funny at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Indeed. Trump's use of it to get elected hasnt been particularly funny at all.
    It's just given his nationalist bros the green light to come out of the shadows and put their hatred into action.

from Bae
    Patriotism isn't found in standing for a song at an athletic event. Or pledging "allegiance".

I disagree.. Look at the olympics, when the national anthem is played for the various gold medalists ... tears come their eyes. It is a symbol of patriotism.

Williamsmith
    Well, professional sports owners have had no qualms in politicizing their sport in order to profit. Military aircraft flyovers, flag waving, national anthem singing, God Bless America singing, camo uniforms, salutes to present and past member s of the military, police and fire.......if it inspires fans to cheer and get warm fuzzy feelings and buy more merchandise it's all cool. So you have kids salute the flag, say the pledge and sing the anthem all their lives and you tell them to not get disjointed when disrespect is displayed. Not sure I find the consistency no matter how or when it came about.....it is.

Maybe instead of getting bent out of shape people should be asking why a certain segment of our population is choosing to 'show disrespect'. And then actually listen to the answer instead of just saying 'you're wrong, you ungrateful jerk.'

Williamsmith
    Maybe instead of getting bent out of shape people should be asking why a certain segment of our population is choosing to 'show disrespect'. And then actually listen to the answer instead of just saying 'you're wrong, you ungrateful jerk.'
    I can only speak for myself. I have listened.

Yeah--that part seems to be ignored outright by those more enamored of symbols.
    I'm impressed that the protests have been heretofore peaceful. No credit for that, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    from Bae
    Patriotism isn't found in standing for a song at an athletic event. Or pledging "allegiance".

I disagree.. Look at the olympics, when the national anthem is played for the various gold medalists ... tears come their eyes. It is a symbol of patriotism.

It is true that many people like the respect for our country expressed in these traditional actions of anthem singing and pledging. You had better believe that these football players are meeting these people on their turf and are actively challenging that idea of "respect"; whether or not the pledging and anthem singing is actually patriotic isn't the point. If people were painting their hair green and turning somersaults in the aisle as a show of patriotism, the football players would be using those actions to show their disregard.

It is a show of distain for patriotic people and their values, that's what these protesting football players are all about.

I agree with bae that that patriotism is not necessarily found in these actions and we should be taking real action to protect our freedoms and support the ideals of our country. I can see that one such action might be to do as jp1 suggests and listen to what these football players have to say. But for me, I have no interest in rehashing the same old same old, there is nothing new that will come out of these desired dialogs. More yammering just bores me. Sorry/not sorry.

At least I am self aware enough to understand my privelege, that while race politics for a privileged white woman like me are a bore, for African Americans who are negatively impacted dailey by racism, it is a little more than "a bore."

But I have been living in the midst of race politics for decades, someone is always calling for "dialog" here as if another "conversation" will actually accomplish something. It never ends.

Williamsmith
    I'll be impressed when football players protest by not showing up on the field....period! Pretty sure they value their paychecks more than their values.

Thread Information