Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: North Korea now saying that the US has declared war.....

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I know, treating people as human beings rather than as a race or gender or preference is a terrible waste of our moral outrage.
    And calling people out as racists or sexists or homophobes is so rude and uncivilized.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    The thing about the conservative concept of minority 'victim status' is that it seems, at least to me, to imply that if people who have been discriminated against or otherwise treated poorly or harmfully by white people would just stop complaining things would be so much better for them. But it seems to completely ignore that the actual problem is the behavior of asshole racists. Kind of in the same manner as saying 'if she hadn't dressed like such a slut maybe she wouldn't have gotten raped."
    Yeah--the time honored "Suck it up" response. It pairs well with the "I've got mine."

LOL, you guys illustrate my overall points so much better than I can myself.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I agree with the guy who said that you can't be happy if your primary identity is that of a victim, even if you are one. I would certainly agree with Alan that is something you'd want to protect people you care about from.

There are people whose claims of victim status range from the obvious to the laughably tenuous. Each of us has to decide the degree to which we will honor them.

Each of us harbors varying degrees and species of prejudice. Outside of very egregious situations, I suspect few of us possess the moral authority to "call them out" in others.

I guess it's not clear to me how my having empathy for someone who has been wronged means that I think less of them in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I guess it's not clear to me how my having empathy for someone who has been wronged means that I think less of them in any way.
    Nor having respect for them for speaking out and trying to change the situation. It's the only way we've ever advanced as a country--or we'd still be living in a monarchy. Or skulking around a savanna somewhere, for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Nor having respect for them for speaking out and trying to change the situation. It's the only way we've ever advanced as a country--or we'd still be living in a monarchy. Or skulking around a savanna somewhere, for that matter.
    So you're saying i shouldnt just go 'wow! Look at how much they accomplished despite the adversity they faced!' And then do mothing to try to end the adverdiy.

/snark

Just heard from DD that one of her military in-laws stationed in Okinawa says the whole island is being evacuated. Hope it doesn't portend bad things.

Secretary Mattis was supposed to attend a dinner I was at last Saturday, but had to send his regrets because “a situation in NE Asia has urgently required his absence.” This message was delivered by Someone Important, who added “I can’t tell you any details, but let’s just say Rocket Man better watch out...”. The room, mostly full of US Intelligence folks and Special Operations folks, chuckled evilly.... I tried to hide under the table at that point.

Seattle keeps being mentioned as a target. i don't particularly want to die in service to Trump's massive ego, or his need to divert attention.

Thread Information