Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: North Korea now saying that the US has declared war.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

North Korea now saying that the US has declared war.....

Color me very world weary today. Worked long hours the past few days and have a day offf today and went online to catch up on what's going on beyond the texts and voicemails I've gotten from friends and neighbors and activists in the 85006 and ran across an article on yahoo.com that really depresses me - to the effect that North Korea is now claiming that the US has declared war.

Thoughts? What I am afraid of now is that there is no real room for either "leader" to save face and that millions upon millions of innocent people may perish. Rob

It’s been a long time since I studied US History but I remember learning that although North Korea signed the armistice ending the hostilities of the Korean Conflict, they withdrew from the agreement several times, therefore, in essence the Korean Conflict (War) continues in the mind of North Korea. This is nothing new but it appears to be escalating.

North Korea claims a lot of things.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Color me very world weary today. Worked long hours the past few days and have a day offf today and went online to catch up on what's going on beyond the texts and voicemails I've gotten from friends and neighbors and activists in the 85006 and ran across an article on yahoo.com that really depresses me - to the effect that North Korea is now claiming that the US has declared war.

Thoughts? What I am afraid of now is that there is no real room for either "leader" to save face and that millions upon millions of innocent people may perish. Rob
    Given the long, long history of overheated rhetoric and violent incidents, what do you find so uniquely terrifying about the present situation?

I guess the armistice is off?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/w...orea.html?_r=0

"North Korea threatened on Monday to shoot down American warplanes even if they are not in the country’s airspace, as its foreign minister declared that President Trump’s threatening comments about the country and its leadership were “a declaration of war.”

“The whole world should clearly remember it was the U.S. who first declared war on our country,” the foreign minister, Ri Yong-ho, told reporters as he was leaving the United Nations after a week of General Assembly meetings in New York.

“Since the United States declared war on our country, we will have every right to make countermeasures, including the right to shoot down United States strategic bombers even when they are not inside the airspace border of our country,” he said."

Ah yes, armistice has been abandoned by North Korea: (from Wiki)

"

After a new wave of UN sanctions, on 11 March 2013, North Korea claimed that it invalidated the 1953 armistice.[263] On 13 March 2013, North Korea confirmed it ended the 1953 Armistice and declared North Korea "is not restrained by the North-South declaration on non-aggression".[264] On 30 March 2013, North Korea stated that it entered a "state of war" with South Korea and declared that "The long-standing situation of the Korean peninsula being neither at peace nor at war is finally over".[38] Speaking on 4 April 2013, the U.S. Secretary of Defense, Chuck Hagel, informed the press that Pyongyang "formally informed" the Pentagon that it "ratified" the potential use of a nuclear weapon against South Korea, Japan and the United States of America, including Guam and Hawaii.[265] Hagel also stated the United States would deploy the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense anti-ballistic missile system to Guam, because of a credible and realistic nuclear threat from North Korea.[266]

In 2016, it was revealed that North Korea approached the United States about conducting formal peace talks to formally end the war. While the White House agreed to secret peace talks, the plan was rejected due to the country's refusal to discuss nuclear disarmament as part of the terms of the treaty. Any possibility of talks ended on 6 January when they conducted their fourth nuclear test.[267]

"

I could now see Trump and his generals taunting NK with a few close bomber fly-by's to up the bluff and rhetoric anti.

Heck, just fabricate a shoot-down in international airspace, problem solved.

I think it is serious. Though they both sound like 5th graders, generally 5th graders do not have the toys of war use.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BikingLady View Post
    I think it is serious. Though they both sound like 5th graders, generally 5th graders do not have the toys of war use.
    My thoughts exactly! Rob

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Given the long, long history of overheated rhetoric and violent incidents, what do you find so uniquely terrifying about the present situation?
    prior presidents tended to be much less reactive dealing with foreign countries and had a much more measured tone. Prior presidents seemed to listen to their advisors. Prior presidents did not call people names like losers, crooked, rocket man, sons of bitches that heats up tensions and almost invites them to respond. And this time the other side not only seems unstable, but has fervently been working on weapons that could cause a lot of death and destruction to our allies.

Thread Information